Maremma With Chooks

Guest stuffthejoneses

Good start :) Just make sure he has plenty of running around off the tether - he is young ,and needs the exercise/stimulation .

he wasn't imitating you petting the chooks - pawing like that is a precursor to play ;) he was testing you!!..and you let him actually touch the chook . NEXT time - warn him as you see that first look/ movement!

He doesnt need lots of time off the tether and he should not touch the chook at all ever. This is what you have to correct him with - dont ever let him touch the chooks..

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this could be of help or relate to your situation..........When we got our rescue wolfhound x bullterrier aged 10 months.She would chase and kill wild birds like rossellas,doves ,pidgeons etc .One day caught her grabbing a bird and yelled at her.She stopped but had the tail feathers in her mouth so i took them out of her mouth and told her off again,The bird went under a bush.My hubby got the bird and sat it on his lap and patted it and said to her no bird,She looked bemused.He walked around with the bird for a while then put it back in the bush.For the next few weeks the bird trotted around our yard past the dog and our cat that wasn't fussed about catching birds,until it's feathers grew back enough for it to fly away.After that if she went near birds in the yard i would yell no bird,She never killed another bird after that.I think we took ownership of the birds in a way so she saw them as ours and was to leave them.Later we went into breeding budgies and she would chase stray cats out of the yard and protected the aviary.Once a baby budgie escaped into a tree and she alerted me by running to the tree and staring up at it until i could see it and hosed it down.Maybe if you try to walk around with a chook so he can associate chooks as belonging to you it may help.

Yes;Do not let him touch sniff or even look like he wants to play with the chooks.When my hubby had the flightless bird on his lap he growled at our dog and would not let her come near him and the bird.When a top dog in the pack has a bone,he will stand over it posture and growl;then the other dogs will know it's his and back off.When we had our budgie breeding room attached to the house,at first our dog would sniff the cages and get excited.Every time she did i would get between her and the cage lean forward and growl;Ah no Grrrrrr.and stare at her.If she tried to ignore me i would block her path and growl again until she backed off and lowered her head in submission.Over time she learned to ignore the birds .She would patrol the bird room and aviary at night and chased out cats,never killed them,she would see them to the fence sit and wait till they jumped over then jump at the fence and bark to tell them not to come back.She also guarded the bird room and aviary from rats,she did kill them.Try the Ahh Grrrrrrrrr.with your dog when you see him stare at a chook and looks like he wants to play with it or tries to touch it .You must be consistent and watchful of his behavior near the chooks.

He is still young and will learn but it may take a few months not weeks.

Guest stuffthejoneses

good day for charlie today. no chook touching at all. the chooks even laid 2 eggs in his shelter.

Guest stuffthejoneses

all is looking good now. he hasn't touched a chook in days now :thumbsup: i did hear a squaark this morning as i left him tied up but when i looked around, he had dragged his chain and knocked one over. :laugh:

Guest stuffthejoneses
all is looking good now. he hasn't touched a chook in days now

Getting there slowly :)

slow and steady wins the race, still a ways to go yet methinks.

Guest stuffthejoneses

It's a very good start!! Nice to read positive updates . When do we get photos of this juvenile delinquent?

when the kids or grandkids come for a visit :laugh: he's a gorgeous boy.

Guest stuffthejoneses

hi there. it's been over a week now since charlie's new routine. he hasn't touched a chook, or even chased one since he has been tethered. he had his C3 shot on the weekend as well as getting his microchip. he will be neutered also this week(boo hoo).the chooks were out freeranging with him for the last 2 days, supervised mostly, and not in trouble once, so we're pretty happy with him.