Dog On Table

Ronda

Hi, I have a 5 month old whippet who likes to put his front paws on the kitchen table and bench to see/smell whatever is on there. No amount of telling him no and shooing him away from the table & benches works. Any one have any solutions to the problem?

Hi, I have a 5 month old whippet who likes to put his front paws on the kitchen table and bench to see/smell whatever is on there. No amount of telling him no and shooing him away from the table & benches works. Any one have any solutions to the problem?

Get him a chair? :laugh:

Seriously, don't leave anything out for him to find. If the behaviour isn't rewarded, it will decrease.

Hit the bench really hard and roar at the dog at the same time as if you are going to kill them for touching your stuff. Praise immediately they get down. Timing is everything. My dogs never try more than once to put a paw on a table or kitchen bench. They will stand on their back legs to look at what is up there and even lick the edge but I have never had one put a paw up again. They just know it is absolutley against the house rules.

Hit the bench really hard and roar at the dog at the same time as if you are going to kill them for touching your stuff. Praise immediately they get down. Timing is everything. My dogs never try more than once to put a paw on a table or kitchen bench. They will stand on their back legs to look at what is up there and even lick the edge but I have never had one put a paw up again. They just know it is absolutley against the house rules.

You are not supposed to reward immediately after using positive punishment. You must wait at least 10 seconds before rewarding otherwise you turn the roar and banging into a reward marker, and the dog will learn to ignore the noise.

You are not supposed to reward immediately after using positive punishment. You must wait at least 10 seconds before rewarding otherwise you turn the roar and banging into a reward marker, and the dog will learn to ignore the noise.

Says who? I always reward immediately with a praise word, when I get the desired response and it has worked for all my dogs over many years.

Sounds like a normal whippet to me, it's called counter surfing.

Growel, yell and slap the bench top and make out if it does it again it will die. LOL.

When down then reward for being good.

Another chronic bench surfer/table sleeper here.

Trouble is - no matter how much you try to keep things 'away' - there's always that one time that they get the reward that reinforces it. We're pretty careful though, and have started cooking everything with a lot less onion *just in case*. Good luck!

We've also come to an agreement - if we're using the table, he goes in his crate - otherwise its all his.

Thanks for all the replies, CE WE its hard to ban him from the kitchen my house is open plan living, he now has a crate so if he cant be supervised hes in there or out side. I don't normally leave food out so its only crumbs on the table. I will try the growling/roaring at him. i did slap the table last time i caught him and hurt my hand :laugh: Max#1 and Christina those pictures are too cute :D

Edited by Ronda

Oh the counter surfers :). Gotta love them.

We have had:

Generation One - Rhemy - who will steal ANYTHING !!! off the bench (no amount of yelling, spraying with water etc etc fazed her)

Generation Two - Lexi - who uses the bench as a nose rest and uses her tongue as adeptly as any dog I have ever seen to get what she wants - she is however much more subtle than her mother - Gen One - she also resorts to her begging dance when she really really wants something.

&

Generation Three - Jade - who blows both her mother & her grandmother out of the water and just jumps onto the bench !!! I think she may be part ridgy :rofl: .

Sorry - No Help Here . . .

We just don't leave things out.