I Need A Reason To Tell My Vets That I Only Want A C3 For 16 Wk Lily

Bow Wow

To be able to get the trienniel vacc I had to find AT least 8 people in total that wanted it for them to consider getting the vaccine in as they had to buy 10 at a time and they do not recommend it, or even tell people it is an option. It also costs more the get one trienniel and three KC vaccines than it does to get 3 C5's as they don't want to do it.

My vet gave me exactly the same story (that's why I went to the vet down the road who had it in stock). They also said they contacted the drug company to ask if they would guarantee their C3 vaccination and they were told no (do they "guarantee" C5?). It costs less to get one trienniel vaccination and KC only when you need it.

In the end everyone has to make their own choices and I feel the younger the dog the more cautious you have to be (Parvo is everywhere :( ).

We only have one vet, the onther ones are at least 400kms away.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gosh I really had no idea that there were Vets out there who would actually refuse to give C3's??? I'm all for making owners aware of their options, but to push it on them is a bit over board.

But then again, I think we might actually be one of the only clinics vaccinating cats triennially, so maybe we're a bit odd :laugh:

Yes this is the second time I have had to explain my reasoning for just wanting C3.

The last one was for Georgea. I was questioned, but I stuck to my guns and said that it is really to me about putting as least amount of poison in my dog as necessary. He accepted that with a grunt.

I only realized that they gave Lily a C5 when I looked at her vaccination record. I asked on the phone for a C3.

So this time I really wanted something to say that would make me sound like I knew the repercussion of my decision.

But, when Georgea was diagnosed with KC and the risk it would put on Bow wow, I relented.

Her booster will be a C3. :)

I may change vets anyway, as the vet I loved has moved overseas. ;)

Dogs with Kennel Cough, do they only cough of a night? Georgea has not coughed at all since this morning. :confused:

From my experiences, they cough anytime, day & night.

My old Lab's cough used to sound like he had something caught in his throat was choking. It was awful. :(

Dogs with Kennel Cough, do they only cough of a night? Georgea has not coughed at all since this morning. :confused:

My old Lab's cough used to sound like he had something caught in his throat was choking. It was awful. :(

Some dogs can get KC and not cough much at all. We have only ever had KC here once. An 11 year old (KC vaccinated) dog had it the worst and only had a mild cough for a few days. Another (non KC vaccinated) coughed mildly for one day. Often they will cough if you put light pressure on their throat.

Some dogs can get KC and not cough much at all. We have only ever had KC here once. An 11 year old (KC vaccinated) dog had it the worst and only had a mild cough for a few days. Another (non KC vaccinated) coughed mildly for one day. Often they will cough if you put light pressure on their throat.

Thank you :)

You should be able to use a C3 if you choose. Your dog, your decision and also totally inline with the AVA vaccination protocol. We have a great relationship with our vets and discuss things to ensure the best outcome for our animals however I am shocked that a vet nurse would question your decision.

My dogs and cats are only ever vaccinated with a C3/F3. Foster dogs are done with a C5 because its the rescue group's policy. :) The one time I had my dogs done with a C5, they all came down with KC.

My girl has had the C5 vaccination each year since she was 12 weeks of age. She has also had very itchy skin.

I didn't get her vaccinated this year - am switching to the recommended triennial protocol.

I am not having anywhere near the issues with itchy skin with her that I had before.

I am now trying to remember back to work out if her itchy skin started with her first C5 vaccination.

Will be switching to C3 triennial I think.

I am a little doubtful that Georgea has Kennel Cough. She has not coughed since early yesterday morning, before taking her to the vet.

I rang the vet up this morning to ask them, and the vet nurse, said that it was because of the medication that she is taking that is making her better.

But, she has not coughed, had any nose discharge, nothing.???????

I am pretty sure that she had something caught in her throat. Totally weird!!! :confused:

The medication she is taking is Vibravet. She has only had two doses.

I think I will research some more on Kennel Cough and Vibravet, it is not sitting right with me. :confused:

Bindi boo - Without being alarmist. A friend of mine took her Cav (who is older than Georgea) to the vet as she was coughing - turned out to be a heart mumur and the coughing is a common symptom.

Bindi boo - Without being alarmist. A friend of mine took her Cav (who is older than Georgea) to the vet as she was coughing - turned out to be a heart mumur and the coughing is a common symptom.

Thats ok, was the first thing I got the vet to check. I am always on alert incase I hear that heart murmur cough. I know it distinctly because of Bow wow, she has a severe murmur. :(

I am still thinking it was something in her throat. But will give the anti biotics anyway, as she did have a very mild temp. 39.4 when normal is 39.1.

The reason would be " because I don't want her to have it" but personally I would recommend getting it. I've had to nurse numerous dogs through KC and it varies from being very mild to one dog who nearly died from it.

hmmm, and I know of 2 people whose dogs got KC even though they WERE vaccinated...

My Yorkie had an extreme reaction after a C5 (seizures). He is now only getting the Parvo Vac as a single shot. And if other vaccinations should become absolutely necessary, then he will get them only as single dose vacs. Not all vets agreed, but my regular one was fine with my decision.

I have the issue that my vet carries C4's + BB's. So while I only want a C3 for the first vaccines I can't. Very frustrating!

I had to ring around to find a vet who would order a parvo vac only. I agreed to pay for additional cost, which could have been substantial = for a complete box. In the end, my regular vet managed to get the single dose. Another clinic refused to administer single vacs...

I wish I had never given my Yorkie the C5 when he was a puppy.

I've only experienced Kennel Cough amongst my dogs once at it was one that was vaccinated shortly before getting KC. I vaccinated her because I was putting her into a boarding Kennel and they wouldn't accept her until she'd had the C5 vaccination so I caved.

Weird thing is I had 3 other dogs at the time who weren't boarded (they went away with me) who ran with her and weren't vaccinated against KC and they never got it.

Haven't vaccinated against it since.