Puppy Has Bonded To Other Dog

jacqui835

A colleague at work has just added a 2nd puppy to their family, a supposed belgian shepherd mix of all things. Anyway, they already had a labrador and the plan was for the puppy to keep the older dog company - whilst also being a new member of the family. Well the puppy absolutely adores the lab, but it doesn't really have any interest in the owners, like, runs right past them to greet the other dog, follows the other dog everywhere and only wants to interact with the other dog. I've seen it, and it's amazing, I have never seen a dog that has so little interest in people. You can't get it's attention with loud noises or anything, and if you have food, it obviously wants it but won't directly address the people - like it will just keep walking past. It waits until the lab has some, and then goes and tries to steal some from his mouth - which often means it doesn't get any treats.

They have asked me to try and help, because now they are starting not to like the puppy - it just lives in their house without having anything to do with them. Their other dog loves them and is very well-trained, he is definitely more people oriented and whilst he obviously likes the puppy, the people come first for him and they were hoping the new puppy would be the same.

But here's the thing. They both work full-time, and the lab is the one raising this puppy. I asked them how much time they spend alone with the puppy, and they said none. They said they were lucky if they spent more than 3 hours a day with both dogs during the week - but all day on the weekends. It's almost 12 weeks old now, and I said they need to start spending alone time with it and trying to build a relationship, and they have started taking the new puppy for a walk in the mornings alone but they are very time poor. Plus the puppy really cries if you separate it from the lab - like howls.

It's not going well at all though, and they have started looking to rehome the pup. They have had people come to see the pup, but leave empty handed because although it's not scared or aggressive with people, you have to hold it still to be able to pat it, and it complains and whines the whole time until it can escape and run back to the other dog. So now they are talking about giving it up to the pound.

This is obviously their fault, but I have no idea whether it's reversible, or what steps they should take to try and achieve this. Has anyone had any experience with this sort of thing? They got it when it was 8.5 weeks old, and it was more affectionate with them the day they met than it is now; it just doesn't want anything to do with humans.

If you need anymore information let me know and I'll try and get it. They are trying the morning walk thing for a week or so before they make anymore decisions.

PS Both dogs are walked together in the evenings.

This is just a tragic story :(

This poor puppy, of course it has bonded to it's own.Sounds like this pup has been given no alternative.

I just don't understand why these people got another pup when they don't have time for the one they have already.

Once again, the only one that suffers is the puppy & it didn't ask to be there in the first place. :mad

My heart goes out to him & I truly hope that he finds someone who has the time & dedication to help him to make

the transition over to become a much loved family member. He deserves that much surely.

Edited by BC Crazy

Sounds to me like the pup returned the level of attention the new owners had shown to it - NONE.

Hope they either stepped up and put some effort in or found it a better home. Somehow I doubt it.

They got the dog they raised. Sad that the pup has to pay the price for it. :(

Can the pup be separated froim the other dog during the day? Such is in a separate run? (beside the other dog, but not with the other dog if you get my drift). Then introduce something like a NILIF program. All food comes from the humans, all attention comes from the humans, walk them separately, crated at night or separated with a baby gate. This BTW, is not a 'permanent' thing but part of the process of bonding the pup with the family so that it sees food and comfort and attention coming from the family, not the other dog. Afte a week or two, re-introduce limited time controlled play sessions with the other dog (AFTER dog has interacted with humans first). Eventually they should be able to be introduced back together fully.

Just a thought...has the pups hearing been checked? If as you say the pup is not responding to loud noises etc, I would get this checked just to be sure as a lot of what you describe sounds like the behaviour of a hearing impaired dog.