Correct Terminology

scolly

Hi....I am new to showing and spend a lot of time reading about it.I have seen different terminology used for Dog/Bitch Challenge and Reserve Dog Challenge. I know that it is a Dog/ Bitch Challenge certificate that's awarded but what is the correct term for reserve dog/ Bitch challenge? should certificate be at the end of it?

I use the following (you can now get reserve certificates)

Dog CC- Dog Challenge Certificate

Res Dog CC - Res Dog Challenge Certificate

Bitch CC - Bitch Challenge Certificate

Res Bitch CC - Reserve Bitch Challenge Certificate

BOB - Best Of Breed

RUBOB - Runner Up Best Of Breed

BIG - Best In Group

RUBIG - Runner Up Best In Group

BIS - Best In Show

RUBIS - Runner Up Best In Show

I don't shorten the the class in groups/shows JIG, JIS etc

ANKC removed the word reserve in group a few years ago and said it is to only be used for reserve CC,

I still see people use it - mainly QLD'ers.

BOB - Best Of Breed

BIG - Best In Group

BIS - Best In Show

ANKC removed the word reserve in group a few years ago and said it is to only be used for reserve CC,

Thank you Sway...My dog has been awarded a couple Of Reserve Dog Challenges in the last several week.Does that mean I should have collected a certificate???

Edited by scolly

Thank you Sway...My dog has been awarded a couple Of Reserve Dog Challenges in the last several week.Does that mean I should have collected a certificate???

/quote]

Hi,

Thats a good question.....cant say I have seen a Reserve Challenge Certificate for about 25 years and that was won at a Royal.....but I'm not saying they dont exist. Here in NSW RCC will get you a ribbon........but as there are no points with a RCC, there is usually no certificate. Hope this helps

In Vic they are not automatically written out, you have to go and see the show secretary - Im not sure what other States do.

Wow that's interesting, I didn't know that.

I have a RUBIG fringie that I won last year at a show here in QLD, but it's worded 'RESERVE EXHIBIT IN GROUP'.

Wow that's interesting, I didn't know that.

I have a RUBIG fringie that I won last year at a show here in QLD, but it's worded 'RESERVE EXHIBIT IN GROUP'.

Original Thread

11 January 2009

RESERVE & RUNNER UP AWARDS

The ANKC wishes to clarify the correct terminology for Reserve and Runner Up awards as being -

The term “Reserve” is to be used only in relation to challenges, i.e. Reserve Challenge.

All other awards are to be designated Runner Up, i.e. Runner Up Best of Breed, Runner Up to Best in Group and Runner Up to Best in Show as outlined in ANKC Regulations Part 5 Section 4.

Or they could have been using old/recycled ribbons. Some of our clubs reuse donated back ribbons to save themselves some dollars. I remember when I was on committees we would order a full set for each show but for one show a year we would only need to top up the total to make a full set.

It's always been Reserve and Runner up for the time I can remember.

You won't get any certificates for Res CC in NSW. There will be ribbons available to collect.

Thanks guys for answering the question. Off to Luci Ellem's for training tonight.

• 3 weeks later...

The ANKC issued the statement on correct terminology to get uniformity throughout the country.

Although some states do have different interpretations in use, the correct protocols are that a Reserve may be may be elevated to the higher placing under some circumstances, a Runner Up may not.

i.e A Reserve Challenge winner may be elevated if the CC winner is disqualified for any reason under the rules as it is unbeaten in sex in breed. If a BoB, BIG or BIS is DQ'ed, the runner up can not be elevated as it is a beaten dog and a beaten dog may not compete for any awards against unbeaten exhibits eligible for that award.

Graham

BOB - Best Of Breed

BIG - Best In Group

BIS - Best In Show

Edited by GRD