Puppy Vacs

Mason_Gibbs

Im bringing my pup home in 5,5 weeks time. I wanted to wait until my pup has had his 12 week needles to take him out walking etc with my current dog now someone said just take the puppy out too as he will catch whatever my adult dog is exposed to even if he sits at home. There is no way i cannot walk my dog while i wait for the 5 weeks to go by until pup is covered. Thoughts???

I walk my dogs several times a day and we have a puppy at the moment. I am definitely not prepared to stop walking my dogs for so long either. My advice would be to avoid taking your older dog to dog parks, and maybe give him a wipe down with a towel and wash his paws before he comes near your puppy. I disagree with what the person said to you - you are still reducing the puppy's level of exposure by not walking him. Whatever your other dog brings in wouldn't be as strong as if your puppy sniffed an infected dog's poo or chewed on a bit of grass that had been urinated on etc.

agree with Arielle...

I walked Ari but avoided areas where there was high dog traffic (so local parks and dog parks)... we generally walk around new suburbs and bush areas. I also plan to walk puppy separately to Ari - at 12 weeks there is no way I'd be exercising at the same level as an adult dog.

Not just about exercise, pup needs to go out on their own to explore the world without constantly having backup!

But as the others have said, just be careful what areas you walk your dog while pup is still at home, although with one vaccination already done, there is still some immunity and it will be good for pup to go out (carried or in car) to see new things before fully vaccinated.

ST i am quite lucky as i have a park right over the road ( not a dog park its more for people) what i usually do is walk mason once around, then train him and throw his ball for him ( i do walk him around the nighbourhood too) but i thought pup could come across to the park for the training side of things.