Resource Guarding

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dogs can grab all kinds of things we'd rather they not have. Dead, rotting things seem to be a speciality with my dogs. :vomit:

My younger one seems to have a radar for finding blowfish on the beach :( Luckily he's a nervous soul and drops it as soon as I freak out (4 fish and no poisoning so far). I guess I'm lucky that my resource-guarding dog and my 'find horrible things' dog aren't the same one!

ETA: +1 on good to hear you're getting someone in to help your boy Luke :)

Edited by Weasels

Guest Panzer Attack!

This isn't the most sensitive thing to say - but woohoo! I'm so excited about the behaviourist!!! :o

I do wonder if his resource guarding has anything to do with Pootie... I guess we'll find out soon enough. On ya for calling as soon as you realised you had a problem.

E x

I met with Robert Holmes yesterday.

Prior to our meeting he asked for an email outlining as much information as I could give him about Barkly's issues and his background.

We spent around 90 minutes discussing Barkly (and Emma's dog Scooter) and coming up with strategies.

He's recommended some blood tests to check for any health problems and will be providing me with a written report on what we discussed.

I'll update when I get the report.

I'm also an advocate for being able to take objects away from your dog with them willing to do so and no growling.

What if they find a rat(could be baited) or some other dangerous item and they don't want to give it up? Part of Oberons resource guarding was dominance and once we let it be known he wasn't top of the pack he stopped. Probelm with my boy is he doesn't warn with a growl. its his body language that lets it be known and with little kids around that aren't that aware of dog body language, we couldn't have him go on like that.

I met with Robert Holmes yesterday.

Prior to our meeting he asked for an email outlining as much information as I could give him about Barkly's issues and his background.

We spent around 90 minutes discussing Barkly (and Emma's dog Scooter) and coming up with strategies.

He's recommended some blood tests to check for any health problems and will be providing me with a written report on what we discussed.

I'll update when I get the report.

:thumbsup: excellent, I hope it works out!

I had a great moment this morning when I was able to put a collar on my girl while she was still eating a meaty bone! She didn't make a sound. I was so pleased :)

So this is definitely a manageable problem!

Why would Barkley need a blood test? Did you actually try some hands on methods or did you just open a vein and have a chat?

I don't knOw about this case, but it is pretty standard to recommend a blood test for sudden behavior changes. I know that erny recommended I get one for my girl when she started to lash out In certain situations (when she didnt before). Once thyroid issues were ruled out we knew the issue was 100% behavioural

Edited by megan_

Why would Barkley need a blood test? Did you actually try some hands on methods or did you just open a vein and have a chat?

I don't knOw about this case, but it is pretty standard to recommend a blood test for sudden behavior changes. I know that erny recommended I get one for my girl when she started to lash out In certain situations (when she didnt before). Once thyroid issues were ruled out we knew the issue was 100% behavioural

Pretty much same here. Blood tests and a general vet check to rule out any health issue that may be contributing to aggression.

We discussed a whole range of behavioural stuff as well.

Guest Panzer Attack!

Pretty much what Megan said. Barkly has always been pretty calm and has only started ramping up the resource guarding to a noticable degree over the last month or two. There have been a few major changes in his life during this year but the behaviourist thought it a good idea to make sure there was nothing health-wise changing his behaviour before starting rehibilitaion and treatment.

He was very thorough, asked a LOT of questions, and was very professional in his approach. It wasn't a case of "opening a vein" in the slightest. :)

E x

Glad to hear you found someone to help. Fingers crossed he gets a clean bill of health and starts to remember his manners soon! :)

I like to be able to take things off my dogs too. I have small kids and while I tell them not to go near the dogs when they are eating, I want to know that if they DID touch the dog or it's bone, they wouldn't get bitten. My dogs will all willingly give me their bones and are happy to be handled while eating. In general though, they are allowed to eat in peace. :D

A quick update...(not necessarily related to his resource guarding).

The behaviourist suggested trying a tight fitting garment to help with his arousal issues (he's not the calmest dog in the world).

His Thundercoat arrived today.

_MG_0274.jpg