Kids At Obedience Trials

Hi all.

I have an obedience trial on Saturday, and my babysitter for my kids has fallen through... my husband has been called into work and my mum is sick.

Apart from the inconvenience to me :eek: , does anyone else become annoyed when there are children at a comp? This weekend is a restricted to breed comp, so not as big as a usual one, and I can "lock" them in the car whilst I'm in the ring and therefore not able to supervise them. For the record, I have 4 boys ages 10, 8, 6 and almost 4. They are not rowdy kids.

I'd rather not pull out as I've been looking forward to this trial for a while. My dog will probably not perform her best with them around, but I think I could make it work.....

In my opinion it is fine as long as they aren't distracting to other competitors. I often take my kids to training and to trials. They normally just sit and draw or play quiet games. They are 6 and 4 and know how important it is for them to be quiet and sit still.

My kids have always come to trials since before being born. My son is never too impressed hes not an animal lover my daughter on the other hand now is training her own puppy and got to take one of our older girls in to the massed dog obedience demo at they royal. Train them like dogs and they will be fine... oops did i say that.... I usually find people with out of control dogs also have out of control hypo kids....

BTW Bribery also works well....or it that positive reinforcement

My kids have always come to trials since before being born. My son is never too impressed hes not an animal lover my daughter on the other hand now is training her own puppy and got to take one of our older girls in to the massed dog obedience demo at they royal. Train them like dogs and they will be fine... oops did i say that.... I usually find people with out of control dogs also have out of control hypo kids....

BTW Bribery also works well....or it that positive reinforcement

Where's the like button?

I've been applying dog training principles to my kid training lately, and it's starting to pay off! Dogs are still easier though......

I must admitt I have 3 kids 1 out of control 1 settling down & of course 1 totally in control, ok yes they are 26 yrs 25yrs & 19 yrs :eek: 1 grand daughter out of control with her parents but when stays with me its "BOOT CAMP" as her mum puts it & is concern :rofl:

my fury kids 5 in control 2 are just learning being only 10months old :laugh:

Agree with woodbyne :rofl: even though I don't have kids, I think same principles apply laugh.gif

I don't have a problem with kids at trials as long as they don't distract competitors and the dogs.

I remember at one agility trial there were some kids kicking a footy around in between the rings. There was no parent in sight. A judge came along and confiscated their footy and told them to tell their parents to come see her if they wanted the footy back :rofl: It was hilarious!! The kids were saying the parents had left to go Hungry Jacks and left them there eek1.gif