Vaccinations 10 Weeks Or 12 Weeks

alli78

Have just brought home our 8 week old Newf baby and am quite confused about the differences between vaccinating at 1 weeks or 12 weeks

The intervals between vaccinations usually depends on when the schedule was started i.e. 6 weeks or 8 weeks etc. You may need to provide more specific information for a more detailed answer about your confusion. What exactly is it that you are confused about?

It is merely a matter of personal preference & makes no difference to anything much.

Puppies need their last vaccine over the age of 12 weeks for full protection.

Vaccines are given 4 weeks apart. Some breeders give 3 vaccines. Starting at 6 weeks & then at 10 weeks then at 14 weeks.

Others may do One at 9 weeks & then the final at 13 weeks.

I never saw the use of giving at 6 weeks as they still have some maternal immunity so whats the point. Either way is fine.

There is now a new 10 week vaccine that only has to be given the one time but not many are using it yet.

You should have been given a vaccination certificate with your puppy which should show the date the next vaccine is due. Do not give earlier than date shown.

It simply depends on the brand of vaccine. There are one or two that differ from the usual ones in that they claim to over ride the maternal antibodies and can therefore finish at 10wks.

If you used a regular 12 or 16wk finishing vaccine at 10wks, any maternal antibodies present in the pup would cancel out the vaccine.

So if your vet has the particular vaccine that allows for a 10wk finish, there is no reason you couldn't have that done at 10wks.

I would speak to your breeder and vet and work out which regime is going to be the best for your pup.

Edited by stormie

He had 8 week shots, I think the info I was reading has confused me as I thought you could then vaccinate at 10 weeks

You must wait for 4 weeks since the last vaccination before having the next one. that is at 12 weeks.

http://www.future-of-vaccination.co.uk/vaccine-schedule-nobivac.asp

My vets use the nobivac (whic over rides dams immunity to pups), so pups are first done at 6 - 8 weeks and then at 10 weeks and that is it until their first yearly booster. The youngest a pup can be fully vaccinated is 10 weeks, so it make little difference when the first one is done (6-8 weeks old) so long as there are 2 weeks between 1st and 2nd. I will be using this with my new puppy so she can go out at 11 weeks of age.

My vets say that if you have had pup vaccinated with a different brand by the breeder, then it should be 3 weeks between 1st and 2nd vacc BUT the products aren't licensed to be used like this (so it is done at owners risk!) which is why a lot of vets insist on starting again with their own brand of vaccine.

Of course this is in the UK and austrailian vets seem to have very different views.

Well I counted the weeks and they were done at 6 weeks and then 22nd was 12 weeks. I thought that was a bit long and then I confused myself, so I went to the vet and asked. The vet told me they usually do 6, 9 and 12. She said you can miss the 9 week one, but it's just extra protection. If your still confused just talk to your vet :)

It really doesn't matter when the first vaccine was done. Nor is there any specific time you need to wait before giving the next shot.

Pups get maternal antibodies from mum. These antibodies act as a vaccine, protecting them. They don't last forever in the pup though and can start to fade anytime from 6-16wks - it varies in all dogs. If you vaccinate a dog that still has maternal antibodies, they will cancel out the vaccine and it won't work.

So one pup might start to lose the maternal antibodies at 7wks, which means an 8wk vaccine will work. But another pup may not lose them until 11wks, in which case the 8wk wouldn't, but the 12wk would. And in some cases, it's not until later, in which case the 16wk is the one that will work. The idea though, is to use do it at those ages so there's only going to be a small time frame in which the pup has no protection. Eg if you vacc at 8wks but they don't fade till 9-10wks, then it's only 2 weeks until the next 12 weeks shot.

In some really high parvo areas, they do it every 2 weeks, to try to ensure the pups have very little time without immunity.