Importing A Puppy

blitz3

Depends on many things. What breed? Why can't you get it from New Zealand? From memory, I talked to a Vall breeder in NZ and she said the cost to import a puppy from NZ cost more than the actual dog.

Look up the AQIS website which will give you an idea of any quarantine issues. As far as I know though there is no quarantine between Aust and NZ when a puppy comes here, so wouldn't imagine there'd be any going the other way. So transport costs and purchase price. Transport price is worked out by weight, so larger dogs are obviously more expensive. Airline approved crate has to be factored in as well. There would no doubt be some vet work involved, health checks, vaccination certificates etc.

Look up the AQIS website which will give you an idea of any quarantine issues. As far as I know though there is no quarantine between Aust and NZ when a puppy comes here, so wouldn't imagine there'd be any going the other way. So transport costs and purchase price. Transport price is worked out by weight, so larger dogs are obviously more expensive. Airline approved crate has to be factored in as well. There would no doubt be some vet work involved, health checks, vaccination certificates etc.

thanks that site is very helpful

When I was still in NZ I importea a fair few pups from Australia. You can bank on the costs being around $1500-$2000 once you pay for the blood test needed, export pedigree, vet check and freight - plus the MAF fees in NZ and the GST on the pup & the freight when it arrives in NZ. Hint there - if you get the pup to arrive outside Customs working hours you may find you don't have to pay this but not always. Doesn't matter if you get a receipt from the breeder saying the pup cost you $1, Customs will be standing there with their hand out and they have a list of the average prices of various breeds.

As for the company it actually doesn't matter much IF the breeder is willing to have care of the pup through the whole process and take it to the airport themselves, because in this case the pup is never actually in the care of the company. If you need someone to do all this for you then yes, it does matter!

thanks that site is very helpful

You would be better of looking up or contacting MAF NZ, AQIS only have the information of what is required to import a dog to Australia, MAF can tell you about the requirements for importing a dog to NZ from Australia or any other country. Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, NZ. I am sure can find it if you use Google.

When you transport a dog by air you pay for volume and weight. You need to know the exact size of the crate the dog will fly in as well as the weight of the dog+crate and any bedding if the dog has any bedding in the crate. If you have this information the airline/freight company can give you an accurate prize.

Unless the pup is for show and you require a specific type for future breeding then save your money and purchase a pup from a reputable breeder in nZ. The cost of transport and blood testing would set you back around $2000 alone and then you need to add the cost of the puppy itself.

Whichever way you go ensure you see sire and dams health testing and have the puppy vet checked before it leaves oz.

I sent a border collie puppy to NZ last week. The cost with the flight, cage, blood tests, treament, import and export certificates etc cost $2500 plus the cost of the puppy.

after reading this i think i'll try and find what i'm looking for here

I sent a border collie puppy to NZ last week. The cost with the flight, cage, blood tests, treament, import and export certificates etc cost $2500 plus the cost of the puppy.

after reading this i think i'll try and find what i'm looking for here

Yep and that was the cheapest flight by $700!! SO unless you are importing for a specific bloodline etc, I would definitely be looking closer to home!