Bark Bark Bark

i took my 9 month old staffordshire bull terrier pup to our first proper obedience class well he decided that when we weren't doing anything or when we were he was going to bark and nothing seemed to stop him the trainer suggested when he does i say ssshh in a quiet voice well when i do this he just barks more with a very happy face, what would anyone recommend we try?

i took my 9 month old staffordshire bull terrier pup to our first proper obedience class well he decided that when we weren't doing anything or when we were he was going to bark and nothing seemed to stop him the trainer suggested when he does i say ssshh in a quiet voice well when i do this he just barks more with a very happy face, what would anyone recommend we try?

Getting him to focus on your face and rewarding him for being quiet when he does it.

Teaching him a "look at me" cue or similar would be a good start.

Does he spend much time around other dogs?

Getting him to focus on your face and rewarding him for being quiet when he does it.

Teaching him a "look at me" cue or similar would be a good start.

Does he spend much time around other dogs?

he knows watch me and he stops for a minute then starts again, hes also a show dog and doesn't act this way at a show, i have another dog he plays with and he has regular play dates with 2 other different dogs, theres alot going on at the training grounds at the same time 1 agility class and at least 3 obedience classes ranging from beginner to advanced maybe all the action worked him up i'll have to watch him on saturday

My youngster started barking really loudly when I was training my Dally instead of her - she is normally very quiet so it was quite a shock :laugh: I staked her close by and tossed her pieces of cheese when she was quiet - didn't care about where she was looking, just that she was quiet. She soon worked it out ;)

My pup started doing this when I got Brooklyn out to train and I jumped on it quick smart...I don't like barking dogs and my BC used to get frantic and would exhaust himself in the car barking. I have Zac in a crate in the car and I cover the crate with a sheet. He's pretty good now but if he starts barking I just cover him with the sheet and he stops.

Both my BC's bark at me sometimes & it is very annoying. Like if I am playing with them, then I end the game one will bark right at me.

I have tried a few things, I turn away with my back to them but that just made the little one go around me & then bark at me :laugh:

I grab hold of their muzzle & say 'quiet' in a gruff voice seems to work the best. But I too would love some other options. It gets frustrating.

Ugh, I sympathise, my boy does this. I haven't been able to fix it but I can just report what has helped for us.

I use a 'hush' command. I put my palm flat in front of his face with a treat tucked under my thumb, so he can see the treat. Usually he gets distracted by the treat and shuts up for a minute, so he gets a 'yes!' and the treat. If there are more barks then the treat goes away. We are still working on increasing duration between shutting up and the treat, but I think he is getting the idea that quietness gets rewarded.

And as Spotted Devil said, while he is tied up and I'm working with my other dog, I throw treats when he's quiet. Barking will get him put in a down-stay, then I reward the D/S after a minute or so.

Ugh, I sympathise, my boy does this. I haven't been able to fix it but I can just report what has helped for us.

I use a 'hush' command. I put my palm flat in front of his face with a treat tucked under my thumb, so he can see the treat. Usually he gets distracted by the treat and shuts up for a minute, so he gets a 'yes!' and the treat. If there are more barks then the treat goes away. We are still working on increasing duration between shutting up and the treat, but I think he is getting the idea that quietness gets rewarded.

And as Spotted Devil said, while he is tied up and I'm working with my other dog, I throw treats when he's quiet. Barking will get him put in a down-stay, then I reward the D/S after a minute or so.

I have the same issue with mine.. tried animal behaviourist, spent quite a bit but no real fix... ordered barkguard citronella bark collars off barkguard , just arrived yesterday. service has been great, hopefully it works well, will keep yas updated .. neighbours got quite pissed off last time :(