Pennhip

supercharged

Evening all,

Am looking at having my dog Pennhipped prior to planning our first breeding.

We live in Nth QLD and the prices up here for anything are ridiculous. I am prepared to travel to SE QLD but need some recommendations on an experienced vet to do the job.

Anyone?? :)

Good question! I guess after using the AVA previously and following the increasing development of Pennhip I have become a little curious. I (like some others) would like to utilise it in conjuction with AVA scoring at a later date. Call it an experiement I guess :D

What are your experiences with it? For which reasons would you only stick with the AVA? Is the BVA different to the AVA? :o

I have been and will be getting both scoring done on my dogs.

One of my boys had a score of 2:2 and pennhip of 90% (top %10)

It is interesting to compare the to methods.

Hi, I find the PennHIP stuff to be a little confusing sometimes in the way it is reported.

can you tell me if this percentile result is for all of the dogs of your breed submitted to PennHIP scheme internationally, or is it for the Australian population that have been submitted?

Also - my understanding of PennHIP is that the really meaningful result is the Distraction Index - the measurement of hip laxity. I understand that it is this reading that indicates the future potential of the dog to develop hip dysplasia.

I think it's also important to consider that the percentile result is a movable feast and in a couple of years time may a dog may no longer fall into the same percentile, depending on the dogs who've been entered since.

I guess I've yet to be really convinced about any huge advantage offered by PennHIP... but still keep trying to find out more about it.

I agree it will be interesting to compare methods.

I like the fact Pennhip can be used at a younger age, it is quite upsetting to go two years or so to discover a potential problem.

I'm not sure why you have to wait till 2 years? Dogs can be assessed using the BVA/AVA scheme from 12 months AFAIK?