Child Killed By Dog

Guest crickets

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The end result (knee jerk over reaction) to this dreadful and unfortunate attack is thousands of dogs are going to be ceased and destroyed under new Govt legislation.

How can we stop this madness? :(

Did you read this bit?

An amnesty allowing pit bull and restricted dog owners to notify authorities of their pets will end on September 30.

Registering your dogs would be a good start for a lot of people.

Not buying crossbred or unregistered bull breeds would be another very wise move.

But sadly, the irresponsible and the ignorant have brought this down on everyone.. for those dog lovers directly in the firing line, a move to the ACT is about the most practical solution I can offer.

Edited by poodlefan

Its all well and good to say don't buy cross breed bull breed dogs- but many people already have them! This will have a flow on effect to bull type cross breeds in shelters too- who's going to adopt them now.

Those that have them need to register them (as should already have occured). Anything coming out of a shelter will have a breed attribution as they do now.

No amount of draconian law is going to have any impact on the irresponsible.. that's the real tragedy here. :( Because that's where the problem lies.

Its all well and good to say don't buy cross breed bull breed dogs- but many people already have them! This will have a flow on effect to bull type cross breeds in shelters too- who's going to adopt them now.

Those that have them need to register them (as should already have occured). Anything coming out of a shelter will have a breed attribution as they do now.

No amount of draconian law is going to have any impact on the irresponsible.. that's the real tragedy here. :( Because that's where the problem lies.

They don't just mean registered with the council though PF, they mean registered as a PB. My understanding that this means no off leash and wearing a muzzle outside of their property.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-08-25/rspca-rejects-pitbull-crossbreed-sale-claim/2856002

A row has broken out between two of Victoria's animal welfare organisations in the wake of last week's fatal dog attack in St Albans.

The Melbourne Lost Dogs Home has accused the RSPCA of selling pitbull terriers back into the community under the guise of staffordshire crossbreeds.

RSPCA Victoria rejects the allegation, maintaining that dogs should be judged on their deeds, not their breeds, and that it is operating within the law.

It has been a week since four-year-old Ayen Chol was mauled to death by a pitbull crossbreed that was not registered.

The dog has been destroyed and state politicians are preparing to table new laws to regulate dangerous dogs.

"There has been contention about crossbreeds and we are going to have a visual code that we will bring in next week as well that will resolve this issue," said Agriculture Minister Peter Walsh.

The RSPCA agrees that identifying crossbreeds is contentious.

"It's very difficult to assess an animal by its breed type, by its appearance," shelter manager Allie Jalbert said.

"There's specifications that the Victorian Government has put forward and they're the specifications that we use."

At the Lost Dogs Home, appearance is enough to determine breed.

"My view is that if it looks like a pitbull, it's a pitbull," chief executive Dr Graeme Smith said.

A third of the dogs it catches fit the dangerous description and most are destroyed.

"The owners are getting around the laws by failing to register them or not registering them and calling them a crossbreed or some other breed," Dr Smith said.

In 2009, a pitbull attack in Reservoir left a man hospitalised and his small dog dead.

RSPCA Victoria president Hugh Wirth said at the time that pitbulls were "time bombs waiting for the right circumstances" and that "they're not suitable pets for anybody".

It is a view that is at odds with his own organisation.

"RSPCA policy is quite clear on the fact that it really is about deed and breed specifically," shelter manager Allie Jalbert said.

But Mr Walsh is standing by Mr Wirth's comments.

"The president of the RSPCA is on the public record as well in believing that this type of dog has no right to exist as well," he said.

In a further step, the Government plans to change the Crimes Act allowing owners to be held criminally responsible for their dog's behaviour.

Topics: dog, animal-attacks, human-interest, animals, melbourne-3000, australia, vic

A visual code for crossbreeds, and the comment from that genius, "if it looks like a pitbull, it's a pitbull". Will we ever learn? :mad All this is going to do is force people to hide their dogs. What a mess.

I do agree with tougher penalties for irresponsible owners though.

Some great resources here:

http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/resources/breed-and-behavior/

S

They don't just mean registered with the council though PF, they mean registered as a PB. My understanding that this means no off leash and wearing a muzzle outside of their property.

Well if they're not APBTs and already have council rego, as I read it their owners have nothing to worry about.

http://www.premier.vic.gov.au/media-centre/media-releases/1829-legislation-to-end-amnesty-on-restricted-dogs.html

Legislation to end amnesty on restricted dogs

Tuesday, 30 August 2011

From the Minister for Agriculture and Food Security

The Victorian Coalition Government will introduce legislation in the Victorian Parliament today to crack down on dangerous and restricted dogs, including American pitbulls.

The move coincides with the opening of a telephone hotline this morning to give Victorians an additional mechanism to report dangerous dogs.

Minister for Agriculture and Food Security Peter Walsh said the Coalition Government had moved swiftly in the aftermath of the tragic death of a young girl two weeks ago.

"This legislation is the first of several measures to get rid of restricted breeds, including pitbulls.

"The safety of the community is our first priority and we will be working closely with other parties in the Parliament to ensure the swift passage of this legislation," Mr Walsh said.

"People should not be in fear of a dog attack when they are walking down a street or their children are playing in their backyard.

"The legislation to be introduced today ends the amnesty to register restricted breeds on September 29, meaning any dog identified as a pitbull not registered after that time can be seized and destroyed.

"The changes will close legal loopholes to ensure pitbull crosses become a restricted breed and a visual standard for identifying pitbull terriers will be gazetted tomorrow to prevent some of these dogs escaping regulation because of uncertainty over their breed."

Mr Walsh said the dangerous dog hotline had also opened this morning, giving the community a way of reporting restricted breed dogs which they believed to be unregistered.

"The hotline is a dedicated number and details of calls will be recorded and passed on to councils to ensure they are alerted to reports of dangerous dogs," Mr Walsh said.

People can report a dog they believe is a restricted breed by phoning the dangerous dog hotline on 1300 101 080 between the hours of 8am and 6pm. The hotline should not be used in an emergency. If people are in immediate danger they should phone 000.

Mr Walsh said the Coalition Government wanted to ensure dangerous dogs were removed from the community and dog owners were fully responsible for the actions of their animals.

So its coming out tomorrow.

S

Well if they're not APBTs and already have council rego, as I read it their owners have nothing to worry about.

From the minister:

Agriculture Minister Peter Walsh said the changes will close a legal loophole and ensure pit bull crosses are included on the dangerous dogs register for the first time.

"Owners of pit bulls and pit bull crosses will have one month to ensure their dogs are listed on the dangerous dog register," he said.

I read this to mean that you have to register your PB/PB cross and it will then be put on the dangerous dog register. Registering it as a staffy x won't cut it any more. If the council believe your dog is a PB cross you will have to comply with the dangerous dog legislation.

"The changes will close legal loopholes to ensure pitbull crosses become a restricted breed and a visual standard for identifying pitbull terriers will be gazetted tomorrow to prevent some of these dogs escaping regulation because of uncertainty over their breed."

If they are using a visual ID to get "Pit Bull Types", then it wont matter if the dog is registered as what the owner believes them to be, it will be on what the dog looks like... I'd say that potentially gives people a fair bit to worry about. I suppose we wont know until we see the actual legisltion :shrug: But it does sound to me like they are planning on doing similar to what Qld did. which is a horrifying thought :scared:

I read this to mean that you have to register your PB/PB cross and it will then be put on the dangerous dog register. Registering it as a staffy x won't cut it any more. If the council believe your dog is a PB cross you will have to comply with the dangerous dog legislation.

And if you haven't, because you didn't think you needed to, then too bad for you if they disagree... that's how I read it too, same as what Qld did.

If they are using a visual ID to get "Pit Bull Types", then it wont matter if the dog is registered as what the owner believes them to be, it will be on what the dog looks like... I'd say that potentially gives people a fair bit to worry about. I suppose we wont know until we see the actual legisltion :shrug: But it does sound to me like they are planning on doing similar to what Qld did. which is a horrifying thought :scared:

And was successfully challenged in court resulting in the legislation being dumped. Deja vu!

S

Yes It was thrown out In court, why would they be attempting It again ?

The same reason they are persisting in using a system that has failed and been repealed in other countries... it makes the Govt look like they are doing something and it wins votes. Some ingnorant pollies may even believe that it will work (ignorant in this case becasue there is plenty out there to show that it doesn't - they only need educate themsevels on the issue to see that).

Lets hope they get swamped and bog up the court system totally FUBAR'ing it, everyone has the right to trial. So much stress to innocents, I just hope it wont take so long for Vic to clue up and drag on like it did with Qld.

Dob in a pittie? wonder how many jack russles will wast the council workers time investigating? lol.

If they were at all worried about it Aus never would've had BSL in the first place - it was already proving ineffective in other places when it was brought in here... We've had pollies say to us in personal conversation "we know this, but it looks good to the masses... what else would we do?"

ETA: any sensible alternatives presented to them were not seen as making them look as good in the eyes of the masses, so were rejected.

Edited by zayda_asher