Would Love Some Camera Advice Please :)

BC Love

I would love any advice/opinions on getting a DSLR (my first!) - Im looking mostly at canon, but have heard nikon are great too :)

Im getting very confused very quickly though lol!! If you had up to $1400 and wanted to photograph your kids, dogs ect in still and in action - what would be your camera choice (including lenses ect).

Cheers :D

Thanks for the reply Shell :)

See, this is where I get confused - not sure whether its a better plan spending the $$ on a great model body, then slowly build up a supply of lenses - or whether say to go for the 600D with the twin lense kit (they were around the $1000 mark at that store) and buy anther useful lense as well.

the 7D might be a bit too much camera for a first DSLR, unless you were really prepared to throw yourself into learning photography.

what about something like the 600D http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/product.asp?idProduct=3569

and the 50mm lens that Shell suggested. You'd also have room left over for some more lenses. maybe this one :D http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/product.asp?idProduct=69

If you weren't insistant on Canon lenses Sigma make some pretty good ones that work well with Canon cameras. I dont have any but a few DOLers do and I understand they are very happy with them.

Exactly - as I said, the 7D is a lot of camera so that's what i would buy now if I was given the chance. Looking back, I should have bought the 40D or 50D when i got my first camera (the 450d). i outgrew it in a year (it got to the point that i was trying to take photos and knew that the camera couldn't handle them without me having to crank up the ISO, making the photo overly noisy) and then couldn't afford to upgrade but I threw myself into it and learned as much as i could as fast as i could. If it's just a hobby, the 7D is probably too much camera but that being said, I have a couple of friends who learnt on a 7D and neither of them have problems working with it. I find that they rely a lot on high ISO though which i didn't have the luxury of on my first camera.

If you think it's going to become something you'll spend a lot of time doing, you could even go for a 60D - another friend is learning on one at the moment and loves it. He got the kit lenses with it when he bought it at christmas and is now wanting to upgrade them because he hates them. He's just bought a sigma 24-70mm 2.8 and his next purchase will be the 70-200mm 2.8.

I just bought a Canon 600D, I'm very happy with it, having never had a DSLR before. I did have some old lenses though from a previous Film SLR, I think one is a standard 28-55mm, the other a pretty 80-300mm. So far with my lack of experience I've been sticking to the smaller lens. I have found reeeaaallllllyyyyyy quickly that even with auto mode if you don't know what your are doing with the actual camera itself, the lens isn't going to "help" in some magical way. I think I would be happy with just the new shiney camera and the one "average" lens to play with, by the time I get myself onto manual mode I am guessing I will have enough to get a macro lens - and probably understand a great deal more about it! You might already have a better idea about cameras than my fine self though.

The other thing I was going to add was that from my research the 60D is selling for about $100 more than the 600D in some places. I think this is because of the 70D. We found Ted's Camera House was really good on prices, but we went to JB HI-FI in the end and talked and bargained them down. Cnet is a really good website for comparing cameras.

Best of luck :)

If it was me, Id buy a more basic camera and some great lenses then upgrade the camera body later on.

I had my 350D for 5 years and never really outgrew it. I got the 7D in June, but really its way more than I need.

I loved my 350d!

Thanks for the replies and great advice :)

I went on a shopping spree this morning and got a 600D with twin lens kit - mem card, extra battery, bag, filter thingos ect. Have my eye on a few lenses I would love - but need to work out how to use the camera first. Thanks again :)

Hey awesome :) I have the same, good luck with it! Check out the picture modifying options (it is so not called that I have had a complete mental blank.) after you've taken the shot you can black and white them out like a newspaper article, or "toy camera" or fisheye them. You can also do black and white pre-shot for a clear image. Have fun!

Faye

Hey awesome :) I have the same, good luck with it! Check out the picture modifying options (it is so not called that I have had a complete mental blank.) after you've taken the shot you can black and white them out like a newspaper article, or "toy camera" or fisheye them. You can also do black and white pre-shot for a clear image. Have fun!

Faye

Lol Faye - havent found that button yet!!!! Feeling overwhelmed a little but had a blast this arvo getting some shots outside with my daughter and pooch :)