Halti Training

No luck yet though I'm more in the process of moving etc so will focus on obedient club again when we have moved.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions :) it is nice to know that there are clubs who allow use of the halti.

The reason why many obedience clubs don't permit haltis comes down to the fact that you cannot progress through to off leash work this way. Once the halti comes off you are back to square one. It may be a great instant solution to your problem (bad knee and dog still needs exercise) it's by no means a long term solution.

I'm with Joe here. If you wish to achieve some reliability with your dog you may need to look at your methods and not your tools.

Not trying to be rude, just attempting to give you a different perspective.

The reason why many obedience clubs don't permit haltis comes down to the fact that you cannot progress through to off leash work this way. Once the halti comes off you are back to square one. It may be a great instant solution to your problem (bad knee and dog still needs exercise) it's by no means a long term solution.

I'm with Joe here. If you wish to achieve some reliability with your dog you may need to look at your methods and not your tools.

i understand you trying to give a different perspective. i know my methods are not 100% which is why i want to go to obedience, and for now i need to use the halti as it works best for me for now. i am hoping that i can slowly work her off the halti and onto check chain without her pulling so much, or just a collar. it will take time and and i will need guidance which is why i want to find a club that allows use of halti.

i understand you trying to give a different perspective. i know my methods are not 100% which is why i want to go to obedience, and for now i need to use the halti as it works best for me for now. i am hoping that i can slowly work her off the halti and onto check chain without her pulling so much, or just a collar. it will take time and and i will need guidance which is why i want to find a club that allows use of halti.

IMO you will get a much better result working one on one with a good trainer then you will in a class environment, at least to begin with.:)

IMO you will get a much better result working one on one with a good trainer then you will in a class environment, at least to begin with.:)

yeah that is fair enough, but like i said earlier not everyone can afford that! :)

I used a Halti on my young Rottweiler and was able to succesfully transition her to a Martingale collar after a few months.

I am 4 ft 10" and of light frame and she weighed a little more than I did. The Halti allowed me to gain control where I had none before using it.

I am not a novice at managing large dogs, having trained a couple of GSD's and a Rottweiler before this girl but you can't train a dog if you have no control, especially when the dog is heavier and stronger than you. This dog was a dedicated puller, the likes of which I hadn't seen before.

We spent a few months using the Halti which gave me enough control to teach her to walk well without pulling. We were not back to square one when I transitioned to the Martingale because by that time she had learned commands and obeyed them so the transition was relatively easy.

I understand had I not taught her commands and just used the Halti to make it easier for me to walk her we would not have progressed to the Martingale.

yeah that is fair enough, but like i said earlier not everyone can afford that! :)

It may be more affordable than you think. Keep your options open, even one session can be invaluable in the long run. Not sure where you are located but there are some great trainers in Vic.

Good luck whatever you choose.

Edited by SecretKei

I used a Halti on my young Rottweiler and was able to succesfully transition her to a Martingale collar after a few months.

I am 4 ft 10" and of light frame and she weighed a little more than I did. The Halti allowed me to gain control where I had none before using it.

I am not a novice at managing large dogs, having trained a couple of GSD's and a Rottweiler before this girl but you can't train a dog if you have no control, especially when the dog is heavier and stronger than you. This dog was a dedicated puller, the likes of which I hadn't seen before.

We spent a few months using the Halti which gave me enough control to teach her to walk well without pulling. We were not back to square one when I transitioned to the Martingale because by that time she had learned commands and obeyed them so the transition was relatively easy.

I understand had I not taught her commands and just used the Halti to make it easier for me to walk her we would not have progressed to the Martingale.

She is definitely much stronger than me! and thats the same problem i have, without any control to begin with i cant train her properly.

It may be more affordable than you think. Keep your options open, even one session can be invaluable in the long run. Not sure where you are located but there are some great trainers in Vic.

Good luck whatever you choose.

thanks, yeah i am waiting until i relocate, and when i do i will look into finding a one on one that is a bit cheaper if i can. for the moment i can't afford it.