Training The 'woah'

Ok, basically for field dogs a VERY solid 'Woah' command is needed, its basically a stand stay command but able to be given at great distance, the dogs stands still instantly and in the face of overwhelming temptation.The dog must not move until you verbally or physically release it. Obviously you have to split this into many many tiny parts but I have no idea how to start it, here is a video of a dog approaching the finished product:

There are all sorts of wonderful and weird methods out there, making the dog stand on barrels, jerking it on a long leash ect. I have not seen any methods I could use and I have about 8 months to train it, so if it takes 100 tiny pieces thats ok :) Any DOLers have any creative methods?

Why a stand and not a sit RV? I teach a sit for field and retrieving but I would teach a stand the same way. Get the behaviour on cue first, lots of steady feet and 2 food game (with increasing distractions) then start rolling/throwing items past the dog when they are in various levels of hunting (might need to start easy), give the command and go over and reward the dog - do not let them retrieve the item but pick it up yourself. I've been playing this game with Em whilst in season and she thought it was a great lark.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Why a stand and not a sit RV? I teach a sit for field and retrieving but I would teach a stand the same way. Get the behaviour on cue first, lots of steady feet and 2 food game, then start rolling/throwing items past the dog when they are in various levels of hunting (might need to start easy) and go over and reward the dog - do not let them retrieve the item but pick it up yourself. I've been playing this game with Em whilst in season and she thought it was a great lark.

I guess a stand because it's traditionally done that way.... :o I actually don't know enough about field trialling to know the answer to that ;)

ETA - A google tells me that some people believe a sit will break the dogs focus on the bird, especially if sits are used when casting the dog (i,e it does retrieving too).

Edited by RallyValley

I would suggest a lesson with the Guru! You know she has a massive amount of experience with gun dogs and their competitions. Get the basics right from the start and you wont have grief re-training stuff.

Ok, basically for field dogs a VERY solid 'Woah' command is needed, its basically a stand stay command but able to be given at great distance, the dogs stands still instantly and in the face of overwhelming temptation.The dog must not move until you verbally or physically release it. Obviously you have to split this into many many tiny parts but I have no idea how to start it, here is a video of a dog approaching the finished product:

There are all sorts of wonderful and weird methods out there, making the dog stand on barrels, jerking it on a long leash ect. I have not seen any methods I could use and I have about 8 months to train it, so if it takes 100 tiny pieces thats ok :) Any DOLers have any creative methods?

I saw steve austin today do a fairly similar thing with his working springers today! It was pretty cool! He used a series of whistles though.

No idea how he tuaght it though sorry.

I doubt my voice would be loud enough to cover great distances :laugh:

I'd probably wait for a bit if you dont't intend on training it just yet. Work up a list of things you want a lesson on and by the time you are ready you will probably have crossed a few of them off!

When I get a lesson I work out the three most important things I need help with rather than a blanket approach...when you get home make sure you write up notes while its still fresh in your memory.

Just saw this. Bedazzled would you suggest seeing her now or a bit later when I am ready to start to teach it?

I'd probably wait for a bit if you dont't intend on training it just yet. Work up a list of things you want a lesson on and by the time you are ready you will probably have crossed a few of them off!

When I get a lesson I work out the three most important things I need help with rather than a blanket approach...when you get home make sure you write up notes while its still fresh in your memory.

Just saw this. Bedazzled would you suggest seeing her now or a bit later when I am ready to start to teach it?

Cheers :) Will wait a bit until I have a few things.. ;)