Looking For A Superior, High Quality Dry Food

Since my Pug was 8 weeks old, I fed him a raw food diet. He's now 4.5 years old.

About 2 years ago, I began feeding him half raw/half Eagle Pack Holistic Select.

I'm no longer happy with either: feeding a raw food diet is a pain in the arse...and for some time now I have suspected that Eagle Pack isn't as superior as it was first claimed to be - and after looking at the website below, now I know why:

www.dogfoodanalysis.com

How come we have so much crap dog food in Australia? I would be willing to pay top dollar for a superior dog food like Wellness Core, if it were available.

My Pug and I would be grateful if you could please help me find a dry food that falls into (or at least comes close to) the following criteria...

High in protein

Relatively low in fat

Grain free

Preferably organic and free range

Contains no beet pulp, corn, soy, tomato, or canola oil

Edited by littlesquashyguys

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Artemis Fresh Mix Maximal has almost all your requirements except contains tomato pomace:

http://www.artemispetfood.com.au/dog_23.htm

It's available in Aus and gets a 6* rating on that website.

Mmm, sounds good! My only quibble is the fat content, which is a little high. Apparently, the tomato levels are low.

And the sales rep lives only 5 minutes away from my house, which is very appealing! I will definitely consider this one...thanks very much :)

I've contacted the sales rep for Canidae, and I'm considering that one too. My problem with Canidae is that the quality of their products varies greatly, depending on which one you buy. Apparently, like Eagle Pack, some of their products contain a high percentage of 'fillers'.

I think, here in Australia, we're so used to the quality of dry food being so low that Eagle Pack seems like a superior product.

Neither of the grain free options of Canidae will contain filler. For that matter, none of their range (or Artemis, or Earthborn Holistic) contain soy, beet pulp, wheat, corn or by product.

The Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural seems to suit a wide range of dogs and is a grain free, mixed protein food.

Sags

I've contacted the sales rep for Canidae, and I'm considering that one too. My problem with Canidae is that the quality of their products varies greatly, depending on which one you buy. Apparently, like Eagle Pack, some of their products contain a high percentage of 'fillers'.

I think, here in Australia, we're so used to the quality of dry food being so low that Eagle Pack seems like a superior product.

Neither of the grain free options of Canidae will contain filler. For that matter, none of their range (or Artemis, or Earthborn Holistic) contain soy, beet pulp, wheat, corn or by product.

The Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural seems to suit a wide range of dogs and is a grain free, mixed protein food.

Sags

Hi Sags,

I will have to get back to you on that one! I need to check out the reviews again. Perhaps, my choice of the word "fillers" was too strong? Sorry, I didn't mean to sound misleading :)

I agree that the Canidae and Artemis grain-free are better options, compared to their other products...but, after reading their reviews, I was left with the impression that they do contain some low grade ingredients, which don't do anything for the nutrient content of the food. On the website, the reviewers refer to these low grade ingredients as fillers. My understanding is that they aren't referring to the usual nasties you suggested.

I think the best product is Petcurean Go Natural Grain Free Endurance. I have contacted them, but it isn't available here in Australia because of our "regulations" :mad I would be interested to know what that means. In my opinion, regulations can be changed because they aren't set in concrete. I think Go Natural GFE would do very well here, as would Wellness Core (I have contacted them too).

I don't think I'm alone in feeling frustrated by the lack of superior dog food products here in Australia...and I think it's wrong that our dogs get the 'short end of the stick'. No pun intended :laugh:

Guest english.ivy

Have you looked into Black Hawk? It does contain rice though, lamb based. Lots of us are having wonderful results with this food :)

Sags

I've contacted the sales rep for Canidae, and I'm considering that one too. My problem with Canidae is that the quality of their products varies greatly, depending on which one you buy. Apparently, like Eagle Pack, some of their products contain a high percentage of 'fillers

Aaargh! Double post again! Perhaps, I need to hang out in the Testing Area for while.

Eagle Pack Holistic gave my dogs the runs :laugh: For the whole two massive bags I went through.

My old girl who lived to 14 spent the majority of her life eating supermarket kibble. My current allergy boy throws up after eating bones and gets a funny gut on high protein kibble.

Different types of kibble suits different dogs. Different people choose differently, I am currently feeding Royal Canin because I needed to buy kibble in a hurry as mine suddenly ran out and isn't available at retail (I still never know how that happens!) and Royal Canin has a Brittany on the front. :laugh:

Eagle Pack Holistic gave my dogs the runs :laugh: For the whole two massive bags I went through.

My old girl who lived to 14 spent the majority of her life eating supermarket kibble. My current allergy boy throws up after eating bones and gets a funny gut on high protein kibble.

Different types of kibble suits different dogs. Different people choose differently, I am currently feeding Royal Canin because I needed to buy kibble in a hurry as mine suddenly ran out and isn't available at retail (I still never know how that happens!) and Royal Canin has a Brittany on the front. :laugh:

What you are saying makes a lot of sense. Yes dogs are all individuals and have different needs. And I don't mean to sound like a dog food snob. I realise that there are dogs out there who are thriving on Bonnie.

I ran out of Eagle Pack once, and the only dog food I could get was Advance (I live in a rural, coastal area). Grover's cute little pink tummy started changing to a dark grey colour. I will never feed it to him again.

Guest lavendergirl

Evo has a grain free range and might tick all your boxes. The only downside is it is only available through the Pets Paradise chain.

Evo has a grain free range and might tick all your boxes. The only downside is it is only available through the Pets Paradise chain.

I'd sooner feed my dogs Chum than shop at PP.

Pity because Evo looks like a good product. :(

Edited by poodlefan

I know, what a shame! It sounds like a fantastic product, but I find the whole idea of Pets Paradise so depressing! Perhaps, if more people complained to Innova Evo about Pets Paradise, they might consider changing to a different distributor?