Subject: Google Alert - Breed specific legislation

=== News - 2 new results for [breed specific legislation] ===

Linda Watson

The Conversation

My PhD is titled 'Dog Bite Injury: an investigation into the effectiveness

of regulation' My research is considering the efficacy of breed specific

laws to ...

http://theconversation.edu.au/breed-blame-game-banning-pit-bulls-wont-work-3036

Shame on Monash University for publishing this. If this is PhD work there should be some note of the supervisors, etc., some research plan, and more apparent content than reworking of well-worked, opinionated positions. I hope Ms Watson is actually going to do some research to fill in the gaps. There is useful research to be done on this subject. I could, for example, see a good PhD based on interviews with the people who would end up with responsibility for enforcing a breed ban. I'd love to see the results, for example, of asking a few hundred Rangers to take the 'identify the pit bull' test. I see no sign of original research here; it looks like someone with a set position jumping into a topic to accumulate material supporting their position.

I received this today in a google alert:

Subject: Google Alert - Breed specific legislation

=== News - 2 new results for [breed specific legislation] ===

Linda Watson

The Conversation

My PhD is titled 'Dog Bite Injury: an investigation into the effectiveness

of regulation' My research is considering the efficacy of breed specific

laws to ...

http://theconversati...-wont-work-3036

How can she be a research fellow and a phd candidate? Surely you should already have a phd to get a research fellowship?

Anyway, sandgrubber this seems to be an independent popular article by someone who just happens to be a student in the field, not a professional scholarly work representing Monash

How can she be a research fellow and a phd candidate? Surely you should already have a phd to get a research fellowship?

Anyway, sandgrubber this seems to be an independent popular article by someone who just happens to be a student in the field, not a professional scholarly work representing Monash

I stand corrected. Looks like The Conversation . . . which published the article . . . is independent academic something-or-other, started through support from Founding Partners: ANU, Monash, Melbourne, UTS, UWA, plus CSIRO. Still looks like the bar has been set low for PhD research.

I stand corrected. Looks like The Conversation . . . which published the article . . . is independent academic something-or-other, started through support from Founding Partners: ANU, Monash, Melbourne, UTS, UWA, plus CSIRO. Still looks like the bar has been set low for PhD research.

Are you serious, where in this article does it say what actual research is being done for the Phd. At least this person is trying to do something and you're hanging sh**t on them.

There is no such "bar" that is set regarding a research question. Rather, researchers, Phd candidate or otherwise, usually only have to illustrate a gap in the current literature for their topic to add relevance to the current body of knowledge.

There is no such "bar" that is set regarding a research question. Rather, researchers, Phd candidate or otherwise, usually only have to illustrate a gap in the current literature for their topic to add relevance to the current body of knowledge.

Exactly... I mean, my husband is doing his PhD on the lone ranger... seriously!

Exactly... I mean, my husband is doing his PhD on the lone ranger... seriously!

:eek: ..... :rofl:

That's awesome.

Remember a PhD is more about teaching the student research skills than whether the actual research undertaken is going to change the world.