Will Sbts Become Restricted?

Kiara&Heidi

Looks like staffy and american staffys are included. Check this link, very scary times.

The American Staffordshire Terrier club of Vic has already spoken to Wyndham council about this, and they are issuing letters to say they effed up because ANKC Registered Amstaffs are most absolutely NOT included in this new legislation. We have also made flyers to hand out in the area to residents, explaining the COUNCILS ballsup, in case they dont actually come through on their promise to send out amendment letters.

Please, people need to get the facts before freaking out. The ASTCV is working tirelessly on this and has been for a long time, the DPI contact us directly with any updates, or info so if you would like to keep abreast of the situation, including any updates/facts, or have any concerns then you can join our FB page ASTCV Facebook

Edited by Ruffles

The 22 point checklist Qld by D.P. and Seqroc was plagiarised copied from the UKC Standards.

This was proven in the several court cases thats it illegal to use the UKC breed standards as they own

the copy right.. The Victorian Gov has used the same UKC breed standard that in its self

is criminal..

• 2 months later...

when are people going to realise that it has nothing to do with the 'breed' of the dog! its the humans behind each individual dog that is the problem. but we don't ever hear about any irresponsible pet owners being pts. i don't own staffy's or any powerful breed, but at the same time, i am so against all of this banning and 'disposal'. After all, where will they draw the line!

I had the impression from something I read somehwere, that councils can only restrict the breeds restricted under the Customs Act. I didn't think councils can just restrict breeds as they wish?

they can ban any breed whatsoever from their local shire, their shire their local laws

we will all end up having a dog under 10 kilos in the future if we can have a dog at all.

I love my GSD'S but am very wary of getting another at this moment in time, and I would never again have a bull breed with all this crap going on.

My friends dog was euthanised the other day due to grabbing another dog and the owner was bitten as well.

Story

We had a big storm and the wind knocked down part of the gate person walking past with little fluffy dog leaves the yard and hence fllittle dog and owner got bitten ambulance had to be called for the elderly gentleman. The dog was restrained to the yard the fence fixed then said dog was trying to get the neighbours dog under the fence. (never did this before)

dog was to be declared dangwerous and a cage built that the dog was to live in so the decision was made.

Before anyone says the owner should have kept the dog, just think would you take the risk with 2 small children and a dog confined to a 10x10 cage. The dog would go nutty.

• 4 weeks later...

Under the DPI Q & A's posted on the Vic website, Staff X are regarded as a restricted breed. Already seeing many of these now being dumped before the end of the month in our council area (Hume), very sad for these dogs, and shows lack of responsibility from their "owners", who have done this to them.

Do you have a link for this please

A friend is looking at adopting a staff X from the rspca

Under the DPI Q & A's posted on the Vic website, Staff X are regarded as a restricted breed. Already seeing many of these now being dumped before the end of the month in our council area (Hume), very sad for these dogs, and shows lack of responsibility from their "owners", who have done this to them.

Do you have a link for this please

A friend is looking at adopting a staff X from the rspca

I could not find the Q & A section but for those that are interested the Victorian DPI's Standard for Restircted Breed Dogs complete with pictures.

I'm sure figure 3 shows a SBT head and not a 'pitbull' head.

It looks exactly like my Staffy X when she was a lot younger (she's a bit grey now ;) ).

I find it very concerning. Just a quick side story when my girl was younger (probably about 10+ years ago now) she was reported to council as a 'Pit Bull' the inspector visited took one look at her, laughed and said "Oh you're a Staffy!" and gave her big belly rubs. I really wonder what would happen if the same situation occurred in today’s climate, I think the outcome would be very different.

I think at least in the near future council registered pedigree SBT and AST will remain safe. Cross/mixed breeds and those with questionable origins will definitely be at risk. If I had a friend considering adopting any dog which looked something like the standard, I’d strongly encourage them to get certification that the dog is not a ‘Pit Bull”, might save a lot of heartbreak later on.