Has This Happened To Your Dog

tarope

Hi Guys,

About two weeks my beautiful GSD girl Tara who is 8.7 years old started bleeding from her bottom,I first noticed a few drops of blood on the floor and she was always licking her bottom and when I lifted her tail I could see more blood in the hair around her bottom.

As no wound or injury was found the bleeding was coming from inside, which scared the hell out of me thinking the worst eg. cancer. On examination by the vet I was told she had a polyp which had grown inside and had ruptured causing the bleeding, she was given tabs and cream I was told if the bleeding didn't stop after a week or so she would need surgery.

Well the bleeding didn't stop so she had surgery yesterday, which went very well and today she's back to her old self.

The vet said it's not a common problem and it might be because she's old.

I have never had this problem with any dog we have owned before, so has anyone else had this problem with their dog.

Edited by tarope

I had a Kelpie, lovely girl called Spiffany. She got pollop's as she got older, they would bleed and they were like a big pimple, took to the vet a few times and he would squeeze all the crap out, but then he just gave me the tube of cream and showed me how to do it, amazing how trusting a dog can be when they know there is a smacko's at the end of it.

Just realized I should have spelt it Polyp, silly me. The vet gave me it in a jar, it looks like a small tube.

She has dissolving internal stitches so she won't have to go back :crossfingers: vet said it shouldn't grow back. :crossfingers:

Snook, I hope your boy will be alright,sounds like you have a worse problem than I had so let me know how things turn out.

Mel@Marengo, I'm glad the cream worked for you, it's much cheaper than surgery beleive me. :eek:

Edited by tarope

Just realized I should have spelt it Polyp, silly me. The vet gave me it in a jar, it looks like a small tube.

She has dissolving internal stitches so she won't have to go back :crossfingers: vet said it shouldn't grow back. :crossfingers:

Snook, I hope your boy will be alright,sounds like you have a worse problem than I had so let me know how things turn out.

Mel@Marengo, I'm glad the cream worked for you, it's much cheaper than surgery beleive me. :eek:

A tube of cream, a rubber glove and me holding her by an uplifted tail. It didn't really work for me or poor old Spiff, just something that had to be done. :grimace:

My GSD got perianal fistulas/anal furunculosis about a year ago - I diagnosed it over the internet and them finally got confirmation at a vets - many were just ignoring me :mad

GSDs are more prone to it than other breeds because of the wide base of their tail and some genetic factors.

It was a VERY costly medication that he went on, but thankfully it was effective.

I did think he was having a relapse and had discussed surgery with the vet that would involve removing one of his anal glands, but luckily he seems to be over it. I think I caught it early because his bum never got as abscessy as photos I saw on a support forum.

His main symptom was excessive licking of his bum and then on the day I was taking him to the vet extreme discomfort when defectating. He was also clearly in a lot of pain when he was probed, but as his treatment went on you could tell things were clearing up in the back end because he wouldn't fight when getting probed just look at me like, 'what again?'

He would have been 7 when he got it