Knuckling Over

Raelz74

My 10 week old Rodesian Ridgeback male puppy has recently been diagnosed with carpal laxity syndrom (knuckiling over) My vet tells me it will correct itself with gently exercise maybe over the next few weeks. Has any one else experienced this horrible thing happen to your puppies. He is happy and I am taking photos every day so I can hopefully see an improvement over the next few weeks.

What are you feeding him?

He is getting Avance Puppy plus for large breed and i mix a little bit of canned food in with this dry feed about two table spoons. He gets feed twice a day. My vet said that should be o.k.

What level protein would you recommend?

Get him off the Advance!!!!! I had an entire litter knuckle over while on it and I recently heard and saw another that was suffering the same issue. I will never feed Advance to any of my dogs ever again.

A couple things you will need to do is move him to an adult formula dog food that is less than 26% protein look at mixing half chicken mince (ie ground chicken frames) and half dry. I also gave my pups glucosamine and MSM tablets half a tablet once a day. Get him off slippery floors as well. I did this by getting an industrial rubber backed carpeted mat from Bunnings it gets hosed off a couple times a week and disinfected.

Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

It's never a 'Brand' that is a problem.

You have to know what ratios are suitable for your puppy and Breeders should be giving this information to their puppy buyers.

For instance here's diet information including Phos/Calc ratios which are one of the most important aspects of a Great Dane diet in terms of avoiding growth problems: http://www.greatdane...com.au/diet.pdf

I would suggest you go back to your Breeder or go into your Breed thread here on DOL and speak to those who are very experienced raising puppies of your breed.

Your breed thread is here: http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/104098-rhodesian-ridgeback-thread/page__st__2055

Edited by MEH

You have to know what ratios are suitable for your puppy and Breeders should be giving this information to their puppy buyers.

For instance here's diet information including Phos/Calc ratios which are one of the most important aspects of a Great Dane diet in terms of avoiding growth problems: http://www.greatdane...com.au/diet.pdf

I would suggest you go back to your Breeder or go into your Breed thread here on DOL and speak to those who are very experienced raising puppies of your breed.

Your breed thread is here: http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/104098-rhodesian-ridgeback-thread/page__st__2055

I only going on my own personal experience and info I have been given in the last 12 months. 11 pups all suffering from knuckling over while on the same food while it may not be a big deal does make you wonder.

Get him off the Advance!!!!! I had an entire litter knuckle over while on it and I recently heard and saw another that was suffering the same issue. I will never feed Advance to any of my dogs ever again.

A couple things you will need to do is move him to an adult formula dog food that is less than 26% protein look at mixing half chicken mince (ie ground chicken frames) and half dry. I also gave my pups glucosamine and MSM tablets half a tablet once a day. Get him off slippery floors as well. I did this by getting an industrial rubber backed carpeted mat from Bunnings it gets hosed off a couple times a week and disinfected.

I only going on my own personal experience and info I have been given in the last 12 months. 11 pups all suffering from knuckling over while on the same food while it may not be a big deal does make you wonder.

I would be looking at the added chicken you added before the brand of dry food.

If he were mine I'd get him off any puppy kibble. Whatever the brand, make it the adult food. I know many breeders of large and giant breeds who will never feed a puppy food because of what it can do to the fronts - you do not want large dogs growing too fast. Pat Hastings advised something similar at her recent talks in Australia.

I'd also make sure he gets enough sunlight and grass/dirt to walk on, not too many hard smooth floors or concete.

I would be looking at the added chicken you added before the brand of dry food.

These pups were not being fed chicken mince when the knuckling over happened. So that was not the cause. The litter was on Advance alone. The other pup was also on Advance alone. It wasnt until they were pulled off the Advance put onto an adult formula dog food with the addition of chicken mince along with glucosamine and MSM tablets that they came good.

• 2 weeks later...

My adult dog will "knuckle" over if he is "out of alignment". If they are out in the shoulders, its like racing greys that stumble when they start to run. If you see an animal chiropractor to have your dog/pups from 8wks of age realigned it will ensure that they grow in alignment and this will make more of a difference than the food that they are fed! They can be out of alignment from mum stepping on them, bad birth etc - good luck