What Breed?

wings

Well I'm still a year or two off getting another dog but I want to put the time into picking a breed that will suit. So basically I'm looking for suggestions that I can continue to research.

As some might know I had to give up my kelpie after a knee injury prevented me from giving her all the work she needed. I'm on the path to recovery but it looks like it will always be somthing I have to consider.

I'm hoping to find somthing toy to small sized with a low excercise requirment. Happy to do training work but would prefer to limit my walking.

I'd like to find somthing that tends towards an amicable nature as there are a lot of other animals to put up with, predominantly horses, cats and chickens, and I would like to have my future dog offlead when we are outside as much as possible.

Would prefer low to no shedding, happy to do daily grooming and regular clipping.

I'm pretty much just after a companion animal, I miss having a dog around!

I am a Pug lover. So I will plug the Pug :laugh:

They are a small breed, they love company, they don't mind some exercise, but they are happy to be couch potatoes too. Unfortunately they do shed, but a good brushing daily helps this. They are so easy to train, and so willing to please....especially if you have treats :rofl:

There are other breeds that might suit you better, but I only know of the Pugs in the smaller breeds.

Good Luck

My little Miniature schnauzer ticks all those boxes, he's out and about with the horses, cats, chickens, the lot and we've had no problems, very easy going little guy. Low shedding, although grooming requirements are right up there, although I enjoy it and find it quite relaxing. Excercise-wise he is full of beans, but he's still a pup and I find if I do some training with him each day he's pretty happy with a walk and then to just potter around after me or snooze on the couch!

Guest Black Obsession

Labradors are my ultimate favourite breed...but, seeing as though you want a smaller dog, what about a Schipperke? They seem like great little dogs. Or another of the Little Fluffy breeds?

ETA: there are a few people on here who can tell you that mental stimulation is just as satisfying/energy burning for some dogs as physical exercise. So, you don't have to limit yourself to a small breed.

Edited by Black Obsession

Pugs ARE great... but they shed more than you would beleive. I think as far as shedding goes they are at the top of the biggest shedders list!!!!!!!

ETA... i think blue fairy is confused... pugs arnt easy to train but they are good trainers :-p!!! Mine have always had me wrapped around their little puppy paws the minute they walk thru the doors!

Edited by Nevafollo

Well I'm still a year or two off getting another dog but I want to put the time into picking a breed that will suit. So basically I'm looking for suggestions that I can continue to research.

As some might know I had to give up my kelpie after a knee injury prevented me from giving her all the work she needed. I'm on the path to recovery but it looks like it will always be somthing I have to consider.

I'm hoping to find somthing toy to small sized with a low excercise requirment. Happy to do training work but would prefer to limit my walking.

I'd like to find somthing that tends towards an amicable nature as there are a lot of other animals to put up with, predominantly horses, cats and chickens, and I would like to have my future dog offlead when we are outside as much as possible.

Would prefer low to no shedding, happy to do daily grooming and regular clipping.

I'm pretty much just after a companion animal, I miss having a dog around!

I know a few kelpie folk who also have poodles - they like the intelligence and people focus of both breeds. A toy poodle given lots of time and room to run around would thrive in that situation.

I have a picture in the back of my mind of a pug sitting next to a pile of it's own hair. And the pile is bigger then the dog :rofl:

I think the pugs are sweet but from what I've been told I think they'll be a shedding overload!

If you want low to no shedding i'd cross the pug off the list :laugh: Mums two shed more than my three aussie shepherds put together.

I reckon my ONE pug sheds more than your three aussies and my three pointers put together!

In all seriousness thou small/medium breeds I LOVE!

Griffons, frenchies and pekes... not much exercising for pekes :D

Edited by Nevafollo

I have a picture in the back of my mind of a pug sitting next to a pile of it's own hair. And the pile is bigger then the dog :rofl:

I think the pugs are sweet but from what I've been told I think they'll be a shedding overload!

This one?

:p

p10008851316071634.jpg

Pugs are awesome, but they shed loads.

Frenchies are also awesome, a bit more active and shed much less.

I can't answer on the whippet angle but I know the average sized horse can deliver a pretty nasty kick regardless of dog size. Have had friends with injured collies and retrievers due to horse run ins. Most of those scuffles were started by the dog and finished by the horse.