Dogs Needed For Mirror Study (dog Cognition Research)

tjhowell

Hi everyone,

I am Tiffani Howell, and I am a PhD student at Monash University. I am running a study about whether dogs can use a mirror to find hidden food, and I am looking for dogs who are at least 18 months old, of any breed. They would need to come with their owner to Monash University, Clayton campus, for about 30 to 60 minutes. The test will involve exposure to the room with the mirror setup for between 2 and 30 minutes (you will know prior to coming in how long your dog will be exposed to the room), then playing a game to teach the dog to associate food with the bowl we are using, and finally having the chance to find the food hidden behind a barrier but visible in the mirror. You will always be with your dog; s/he will never be left alone.

I have attached the explanatory statement, but if you have any questions, please let me know. Also, if you are interested in coming in and able to come during regular office hours (Monday-Friday 9am-6pm), next week is Spring Break at Monash so there will be some free parking on campus.

If you are interested in being part of this study, please email me at [email protected] (preferred) or call me on 0450 298 745.

Thank you,

Tiffani

Explan statement mirror test 2.pdf

Hello Tiffani

I work in research ethics; can I assume you have ethical approval to conduct this research?

TQ

Pollywaffle

Hi Pollywaffle,

Yes we have ethics approval. The approval number is MARP/2011/123 from Monash University. We wouldn't do any research without ethics :)

Thanks,

Tiffani

Damn if you were in SA I would definitely let my dog help you. He has used mirrors to find us and if I gesture at him to come when he's looking in a mirror (ie no sound used), he spins around and comes straight to me. He sometimes checks himself out, seems to know it's him and isn't too interested. He will happily study us (his people) in the mirror though.

Good luck with your study :)