Nervous Day - 1st Time He's Home Alone Outside His Crate

GrumpySmurf

As we all work and school, Kahlua has had to be left alone a few days a week for 6 hours. We've always put him into his crate and he hates it. He would whine and bark and destroy the newspaper in the crate. This is despite feeding him in his crate, and him liking the crate overnight (almost goes in by command).

So for today, we decided to let him roam around the house foyer. We have put in lots of toys including a Kong with treats, his crate is in the foyer now, and the stairway is blocked off.

I'm sitting in the office, nervously watching the surveilence camera. He is laying quietly on a particular spot on the tiles. :thumbsup: . Just hope there are no accidents when I get home.

The joy of a puppy inside alone!!! I have had my pup inside alot longer than I wanted because she is in with another of my dogs that is escaping and cannot be outside until the fence is fixed (my OH is taking his sweet time!!!).

Everyday when I come come I look around to see what mischief they have been up to. Everything is put up and away in the morning before we leave, yet they still manage to find something to destroy. I can't wait until they can be outside!!

:) there will be toileting done indoors , if he can't get to the outdoors ... he can not hang on all day ...then hang on all night too ... Just remember to not make a fuss of him as soon as you get him home.. or let him out of his pen immediately ....don't even talk to him for the first 5 or 10 minutes ..then just do everything matter of fact :)

Dogs did survive without crates, cameras or being blocked in a foyer.

Many pups have been fine left at home running loose with some sensible precautions & safety measures taken. An accident, if you mean toileting, is not the end of the world.

The only thing I worry about when leaving a pup at home is that I will miss them :)