Titre Testing

Guest dogcentric

Guest Black Obsession

I just found out about Titre Testing (as an alternative to adult vaccinations)...

I'm wondering why I hadn't heard of it before, or why more people don't do it. It appeals to me because I have an interest in Natural Medicine, and I don't like putting unecessary chemicals into my dogs' bodies. I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Hmmmmm my guess is because of the likes of Pfizer, Virbac & Boehringer. Vaccine income is HUGE, and also makes up a tidy portion of a vets income.

After reping for many years a lot of vets just follow the crowd, and many are steered by the multinationals. Just look at the dry food sales within vets.

If you find a vet who proactively raises the idea of titre testing then I'd be very happy with that vets enthusiasm for animal health and further education.

Guest Black Obsession

Of course, it's a money thing. Here I am thinking that vets are actually interested in animal health :laugh:

My vet told me about 3 yearly vaccinations, which I think is a good thing...but she hasn't said anything about Titre Testing. I will bring it up next time I see her.

Edited by Black Obsession

Guest Black Obsession

It sounds purely financial to me :(

For years, vets have managed to convince people that yearly vaccinations are the way to go. They could just as easily convince people to attend yearly check ups. The only difference is the money incentive would no longer be there.

It makes sense why some vets try to make you feel like you're a 'bad dog owner' if you don't agree with their views on vaccinating.

Many Vets in Oz are a little 'behind the eight ball' when it comes to titre testing. Titre testing is one of the only scientific means we have of determining whether a vaccine response has occurred, and whether antibody levels are high enough to be considered protective. There are limitations though, as some animals may still have adequate 'memory cells' to mount a response to a disease challenge like Parvovirus despite low circulating levels of antibodies - which is what the titre test checks. This is more likely with Distemper; usually titre tests are fairly accurate when checking immune status for Parvovirus.

Titre testing to check whether an animal actually requires a vaccination is a much better approach then just blindly injecting a compound vaccination that may cause side effects or vaccine reactions.

We can only test for Distemper and Parvovirus antibodies; there are no tests for Infectious Hepatitis (which is considered to be eradicated in Oz anyway) or the Kennel Cough vaccine components (Bordetella & Parainfluenza).

Titre testing protocols vary for individual pets depending on lifestyle, geographic risk, age, vaccine response history, general health... It is a good idea to have an individualised 'vaccine' protocol determined for your pet that minimises all unnecessary vaccinations, by consulting with a Vet who advocates titre testing. Holistic Vets are generally well versed in titre testing so find one in your area. Many Holistic Vets also offer online or telephone consultations if you don't have one in your local area.

Kind regards

Dr Renee

Holistic Vet

Guest Black Obsession

i plan on doing the same with the puppy once he has finished his puppy vacs...

Me too. I think it's a great idea :)

Guest Black Obsession

Hi Roar Kingdom,

Thank you for all this interesting information :)

Yes, I think some Australian vets are behind the eight ball in a lot of ways. I have lived in the UK and Holistic Vets are very popular there.

I have a fantastic vet who is very supportive of my views on Natural Medicine. She has worked alongside my Naturopath in the past...so, I think I'll be okay with her.

Guest Black Obsession

Ooh yes please! That is an excellent idea! :thumbsup:

Roar Kingdom, how would you feel about starting this thread? You seem like you are well known and respected on DOL for your views on Holistic animal care. We could ask to have the thread pinned.

We offer it but the majority of our clients aren't interested. We still have some clients who request annuals because its what they know.

Most of the vaccine companies have a 3 yearly vaccine - Virbac is the only company I'm aware of that still push for annual vaccination. Pfizer even has an in house titre test they're promoting.

I agree money is part of the reason, but I believe on the clients side rather than the vets. If we did a check up consult and a titre test, we'd make more money that we would if we did just did a consult + vaccine.

We've been offering titre testing for about 18months now and I think in that time we've done 3 or 4? We opened an account with VetPath in WA to make it cheaper for the clients, but even then most don't like the idea that they could pay for the titre and if its low, have to pay more again for the vaccine. They generally say 'meh, just do the vaccine'.

If we didn't use VetPath, the cost to the client with our regular path lab would be more than double.

And I'm not sure why the food was mentioned, it's what vets generally make the least on.

Guest Black Obsession

I'm going to Titre Test annually, from now on, because I can afford it and I think it's worth it. Once Titre Testing becomes more available, the price will go down.

I agree money is part of the reason, but I believe on the clients side rather than the vets. If we did a check up consult and a titre test, we'd make more money that we would if we did just did a consult + vaccine.

Yes, I don't understand the argument that vets aren't recommending titre tests because they want to make more money - the clinic makes just as much from a blood draw for a titre test as they do from giving a vaccination.

The titre test costs the client a lot more, though, since you've got to submit the sample to the lab. So if vets start routinely recommending titres rather than 3-yearly C3 vaccinations, lots of our clients would probably accuse us of trying to make more money by recommending the more expensive option. It's hard to win.

I was going to have Molly titred last time, but I left it too late as we were joining an agility club, apparently the results take ages to come back. And yes it was going to cot me way more than the vac. From next year she will only have titres done.

Guest Black Obsession

I only paid $70 i think here in WA to titre

See, that's not bad at all! I reckon adult vaccinations will soon be a thing of the past.

<edit>

We can only test for Distemper and Parvovirus antibodies; <edit>

Kind regards

Dr Renee

Holistic Vet

Are separate vaccs available for parvo and distemper though? My understanding (and I could well be wrong) is that only the combined vacc (C3?) is available (at least in this country), so if one of my dogs is ok for coverage of say parvo, but not distemper, I can't just vacc for distemper. Is that correct or not?

Edited by New Age Outlaw

<edit>

We can only test for Distemper and Parvovirus antibodies; <edit>

Kind regards

Dr Renee

Holistic Vet

Are separate vaccs available for parvo and distemper though? My understanding (and I could well be wrong) is that only the combined vacc (C3?) is available (at least in this country), so if one of my dogs is ok for coverage of say parvo, but not distemper, I can't just vacc for distemper. Is that correct or not?

It is correct.

I had this dilemma, my dog was fine for parvo, but low for distemper. I ended up giving another C3 just to be sure. She was retested 6 weeks later and both parvo and distemper were fine.

* It may be possible, but very difficult to get a distemper only vaccine???

Generally titre testing ends up being the same cost as vax. However, you may need to revax and then retest which makes it much more expensive. I agree that best practice is to offer "gold standard" to the client and let them decide. It is a shame more practices aren't telling people about this option.