Comfortis + Vomiting A Day Later?

Dju

I gave Hugo his Comfortis tablet yesterday morning and this morning lo and behold he's retching over the side of my bed (bless him for not wanting to get anything on my sheets) and throwing up some frothy yellow stuff onto my carpet. I haven't fed him anything unusual since then, could it be the Comfortis? Should I dose him again? Because I was really under the impression that it would have already.. absorbed? into his system by 20-24 hours. I don't want to overdose him with unnecessary chemicals, so I'm asking DOL :)

I wasn't aware I was supposed to feed it after a large meal! I did feed it to him on an empty stomach, he turns his nose up at breakfast food and only eats at dinner.

Yep Comfortis should be given with a meal, but it's only necessary to re-dose if the vomiting occurs within one hour of him having the tablet :)

is the dogs small, then it is normal to vomit from comfortis. did you feed the dog with a large meal about 30 mins before hand ?

If I recall correctly the packet says to give Comfortis with food, not 30 minutes after a meal?

Dju, I'd say having the medication on an empty stomach could be the cause of the vomiting. Just keep an eye on him and if he continues to vomit or starts having other symptoms (not drinking/drinking more than usual/restless etc) then I'd go to the vet but I really think he'll be fine!

Comfortis takes four hours to be fully absorbed. Should be given with food, yup, especially for small dogs or sensitive stomachs. Vomiting is one of the side effects of the medication that was observed in trials, it shouldn't be ongoing. I daresay it was caused by eating the tablet without food; next time if you feed comfortis with food you hopefully won't get the vomiting :)