Crate Question

Atanquin

Hi guys i want to get a crate for Zorro my OH was suppose to build him a kennel for out side but i don't think he will ever get around it and he has now warmed to just having him inside with us.

i was wondering about getting him a crate a fabric one as it looks good looks like it can have good air flow and it can be taken with us if we go camping and if he is staying at my mum's ( his Nan's ) place.

now if i put it outside under cover how would it fair up we have a BIG under cover area and it would only be while im at work or if we go out at night time?

and what about warmth he is a cocker spaniel and i intend to keep his lovely long coat and not get it clipped ( brushing is our favorite time of day) also we are in QLD so in winter it doesn't get too cold and if it did he would be in side with it?

also can anyone recommend a good one to buy i have seen a few on eBay and such but im not sure how good they are?

Thank you

P.S tried to find a post relating to this but couldn't so if there is one please send me the link thank you.

Try

www.pethomes.com.au - It takes you to an ebay store, he sells good quality gear at very good prices and is based in Brisbane.

If you are going to be leaving the soft crate outside I would recommend you buy one of the canvas crate covers (they are usually meant for the metal crates but come int he same sizes and can be used to cover soft crates as well) and use that as a double covering to be sure.

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

www.pethomes.com.au - It takes you to an ebay store, he sells good quality gear at very good prices and is based in Brisbane.

:thumbsup: I have also found pethomes to be great price and great quality.

If you dog crate trained? If not you may be best getting a metal crate (can also get these from pet homes). The fabric ones are fantastic, but if you dog scratches and bites at it the crate will easily be damages and you dog wil escape. I have also know dogs able to unzip them.

Also, if it is going to be a permanent fixture outside I would say the metal crate will last longer.

I personally have both, the metal crates are up at home, and I use then for crate training, and the fabric crates are in the car for training and comps.

Personally I'd go for a metal crate for home and a soft crate for travel. Metal crate are very hardy, you can put a cover on to protect from the weather and make them more attractive. Soft crates are not really made to stand up to constant weather exposure - wind, rain, sun, etc. You'd need to peg it down to stop it blowing away!

For good quality soft crates try

K9+: http://www.k9softdogcrates.com.au/index.php?p=contact

K9 Pro: http://www.k9pro.com.au/categories/Crates/

or if you want a good quality cheap option, Topbuy: http://www.topbuy.com.au/tbcart/product/Lightweight-XXXL-Travel-Crate-for-Pets-Soft-Waterproof-Fabric-Easy-Fold-Away-p14748.htm

These are great as an outdoor/portable kennel too: http://www.houndhouse.com.au/

Hope that helps :)

I have a XXXL topbuy soft crate. Was dirt cheap and is actually really good quality. I love it. Only thing is the sides and top are just mesh, so no protection from wind. I take this one camping and anywhere else I need to contain 4 whippets for short periods.

My other one is from Puppy Power which has an ebay store. It's a medium and I bought it for when I only want to take 2-3 whippets instead of all of them. This one has roll down window flaps and the roof flap which is what I wanted for more protection on crappy days. Comes with a carry bag and tent pegs to peg it down too. Was cheaper on ebay than where I bought it from (dog show)

Soooooo handy having crates to take places! Love them. :o

ETA: Ooops I took too long to post. :laugh: You've already bought one. :laugh:

Glad you found what you're looking for.

Edited by Sir WJ

If he's gonna be crated, why not have it inside?

Also, if he's not already crate trained I would start with a plastic or wire crate that he can't claw through if he decides he's too bored to stay in it. Soft crates are for dogs that are already used to crates.

Edited by fuzzy82

Locking a dog in a crate outside while you go out is not a good idea.

What is the dog supposed to do if a snake gets in ? Or your house goes on fire & there is thick smoke or flames if it is close to the house ? Weather suddenly gets really hot ?

If you want to leave the dog outside & contain it rather than let loose in the garden then a larger pen/run away from the house is safer.

No he will never be locked in it outside he gets full run of the garden nor inside he will be properly trained with it tho to be in there with doors shut but I only want it if he goes to my mums for a weekend and to use it as a warm sleep place

And I don't remember saying he would

Edited by Atanquin