King Charles Cavi Itch

Hi all,

Am in quite a pickle. I have a 5 yr old Cavi, with an itch on her left side/tummy. She has had it on and off now for over two years. But it's now gotten worse. I have been to my vet and found no sign of fleas or tics. But I am terribly worried. Family and friend have claimed it may just be an alergy. But I thought I would get some advice from anyone on this site, who may know of such an issues. She does not scratch anywhere else, just that one place.

Any clues?

Mary

hi :)

Did the vet have any suggestions? Did teh vet give you any medication for it?

Is there anything different about the skin/hair in that spot? Redness?swelling? any pigment?

When does she scratch at it most? seasonal/night/day/after walks/after eating/while being patted ...... ?

Wow, thanks Persephone, for your prompt reply... So many questions.

No, the vet did not offer anything. She did check the area extensively and found nothing out of the ordinary. Not even redness.

I find she mostly itches when she sees us. She does itch on the odd occasion as I look out the window, but most of the time, when excited.

Someone did suggest that she may be alergic to a plant in our garden, but as we have an extensive range how does one find out?

Vets usually have a chart up in their consult rooms or waiting rooms with the usual suspect plants for dog allergies. Have you tried making her wear a jacket (a baby t-shirt would suffice) so she can't scratch? Any chance of a photo?

Thank you Ams. She has worn a jacket, but only in the winter months as she gets a little over heated.

Oh I am not good with this photo thing. But I will try. Give me a moment.

I don't have a photo of her itching though.

Ams... I will make her my avatar pic. :)

It MAY , stress, MAY be a habit - a little nervous 'tic' , if there is no visible changes in the skin ..and if you notice her doing it mostly when she sees you ... and when she is excited.

Not being a vet, not seeing your dog, and just taking stabs in teh dark... my suggestion is another vet opinion ... maybe try her on an antihistamine the vet suggests..see if that helps, or makes no difference ...

Dogs can be allergic to meat proteins/grass/chemicals/pollen... heaps of things ... it may be wise to talk with a vet about this ...before trying other things.

IF, however it is caused by her excitement , there are some things to consider

What do you do when you come home/feed her/get ready to go for a walk?

perhaps some changes in your body language ,or teh way you greet her etc may help to keep her calm..and cut off the 'scratch' reflex???

You might want to enlist the help of a trainer/behaviourist IF no physical cause can be found ... just to help you and your little dog avoid whatever is triggering this :)

Persephone, thank you kindly for your help. I have now uploaded a pic. But she is timid here.

:(

Actually to be honest with you I tried to stop the scratching by placing my hand at her itch and rewarding her with treats. That only works for a short pause and then back to the itch. 'Tis rather late here in Melbourne and she's fast asleep outside. I will get a pic of her itch in the morning and upload it. But I guess a second opinion may just be on the cards.

when she scratches does she actually contact her body or is it more of an 'air scratch' ? Does she do any other quirky behaviours ?

Off to bed now... Will take those pics tomorrow and upload them. Thanks for all your help all.

Hi Little Mary.

My 8-year-old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel has been scratching for about 2 years on both sides of his body (on the flanks) usually when he is patted there (occasionally for no reason). Despite many visits to the vet, and diet and shampoo changes there has been no change, but no worsening either, and we have learned to live with it. He doesn't do it constantly, just occasionally.

I did have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel about 5 years ago with syringomyelia (can't remember if that's the right spelling)and her symptoms were different - more of an "air scratching" near her ears, and she definitely worsened over time.