Overexcitement

Jarvis

Hi :wave:

Our cocker spaniel pup, Jarvis, is now 10 weeks and has been with us for 2 weeks.

He is fantastic and we are loving having him at home. It's amazing how quickly he's growing and changing.

Over the last week he has got a lot more bitey. I am dealing with that by shoving a toy in his mouth, saying 'ouch' and ignoring him where necessary (easier said than done when he's biting toes :rofl: )

A couple of times he has gone completely crazy though, growling, snarling even a couple of little barks. Then he just seems unable to be distracted by toys, and saying ouch just seems to rev him up more. The other night I thought I'd stay with him until he calmed down before I put him to bed and I went to bed. But he never calmed down! In the end I just put him in his room and went to bed, and he very quickly calmed down after a little whine and slept the whole night long.

My question is, if he does that again, should I just put him in 'time out' and let him calm down by himself? Was that the right way to deal with it? I'm guessing it's a bit like an overtired toddler who doesn't look tired at all but just crazy. The nipping and mouthing I can deal with, but that was just not funny!

Thanks,

Sarah

DSC_0084.jpg

Do time out. We did time outs with Monte, so he learnt the difference between when it was play time and when it was quiet time. You just need to walk away when you want Jarvis to quiet down, he will learn that there are times he needs to settle.

He may also be starting to teeth, so provide him with things to help sooth his gums, especially if he's starting to mouth. It will distract him from attempting it on you, and teach him people are not chew toys.

And he is very cute :D

Lies! That sweet little face wouldn't hurt anyone! :D

I would continue on with the ouch and redirecting, but when he gets really over tired and turns into a monster, it could just be best to give him time away in a safe place with something nice to chew on :)

• 3 weeks later...

Oh he's freakin adorable!!!!

Lili was an absolute terror when she was his age. VERY bitey and would actually lunge at our faces, tug on our clothes till they ripped etc. She is now absolutely gorgeous and gentle, so don't despair!! :laugh:

I think time out is a good idea, it will force him to settle as he won't have you there to provide stimulation.

Adorable!

Thanks aussie3.

Yep he's adorable alright. And in the past 2 weeks has definitely calmed down. Still has moments of madness where trouser legs aren't safe but I'd say it's improving. Hooray!

And I do use time out in those situations. There's no reasoning with him when he's like that, and more often than not he just settles down for a sleep!