Bitch Digging Up Bedding

Sonic

My bitch has 4 day old pups and is being a great mum but has just started digging up the vet bed to make herself comfortable. The pups are getting caught up in it and I'm worried they will not be able to get to her to feed or will get smothered in the fabric.

I am checking them regularly to make sure everything is OK but am worried as I will have to leave them tomorrow to go to work.

Any suggestions anyone?

Seems its not uncommon - one of my girls did this - had to put down a piece of carpet secured so as she did not bury the pups - I put it onto the forum myself here is the link -

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/214506-shredding-the-welping-box/page__p__5127461__hl__%2Bdigging+%2Bbed__fromsearch__1#entry5127461

Were quite a few answers - she did get past it as they got a bit bigger but a bit of a worry.

They dig because the uterus is still contracting back to normal size and in some bitches it causes cramp like pain. The remedy is buscopan tablets to stop the cramping pain.

That makes sense Dancinbcs. This girl has never been one to dig up her bedding so it seemed odd. I have cut up an offcut of the vet bed into smaller rectangles so that the pups will still have somewhere warm to lie but the pieces are too small for them to get caught up in. I can give them the full size vet bed when I'm home to supervise but for the moment I'm seeing how they go with the smaller pieces and so far it seems to be OK. I also took the advice about the calcium as my vet had also said something about needing calcium. If it doesn't settle down quickly I will try the buscopan.

Edited by Sonic