Rally-o

There was a Rally-O demonstration going on while we were at an agility trial last weekend, but I didn't realise it was a demo (thought it was some sort of obedience comp) till it was all over. What I did catch of it, it looked like something I would like to try as it doesn't seem to be as stiff & strict as Obedience comp. & would probably be good for my 7 month old puppy as a lead up to agility. I really don't think there would be anywhere nere me that I could go & learn, so does anyone know of any good "teach-it-yourself" DVD's available. Thanks in advance :)

There was a Rally-O demonstration going on while we were at an agility trial last weekend, but I didn't realise it was a demo (thought it was some sort of obedience comp) till it was all over. What I did catch of it, it looked like something I would like to try as it doesn't seem to be as stiff & strict as Obedience comp. & would probably be good for my 7 month old puppy as a lead up to agility. I really don't think there would be anywhere nere me that I could go & learn, so does anyone know of any good "teach-it-yourself" DVD's available. Thanks in advance :)

do you have an iphone? not sure about DVDs but the iphone has a great app called Rally-O that has different levels and the tasks involved, and a description of how to perform it. quite handy! :)

I have this DVD - it goes through all the exercises and how to perform them. It is based on the APDT USA rules, which are slightly different from those I read on this forum as being considered in Australia, however, they are generally very similar. There are also some books you can import which are also good references. The i-phone app is okay but I agree, you need to see it to understand it.

Be VERY careful of any DVD's or apps on this sport. As mentioned, most are designed on the American rules, which are NOT the rules/signs we will be using. Yes there are many similarities, but in this new sport, there are enough differences to create training problems down the track.

I've attempted to do a video of each station (footwork, dog position etc) but unfortunately, there hasn't been the support to follow through and as it turns out, I've learned that had I done it, someone else probably would take credit for it. :mad

One more seminar for me, and one more demo and then I'm retired and will cross my fingers and hope everyone gets along ok with this sport.....it won't be for lack of trying on my part, that's for sure!

angelsun I understand where you're coming from and I know you have done heaps to get it up and running here!

But there is sooo much interest in this sport and people can't even get their hands on the proposed rules so it's natural they are going to find other ways of getting information. I know at least in my area there is a really mixed attitude towards it all which only makes it harder for those of us who want to take part. I would think it would be better to at least start training the basics (and all we can do is go on other countries rules for that) rather than wait until something is released here in Australia.

I've been fighting to have these draft rules and proposed rules released more widespread, but for some reason, one person in particular spent twelve months guarding them and telling many that they were 'not for distribution' (I sent them around anyway!)

As always, I've told folks to email me and I"ll send them the latest draft (remembering draft is the word we use til the rules are officially done and dusted...but there won't be many changes if any when that happens)

Have yet to understand why some are treating this like some top secret document.....it's not doing ANYONE any favours to think that way!