Quick Insurance Question

Fynesse

I have never had pet insurance before and Im now considering insuring my puppy as Im now paranoid about hip dsyplasia.

My question is: If I insure my puppy this year, Im assuming the insurance is for a year. Say he is diagnosed with HD within the first year, does that mean that come the 2nd year of insurance, it is then a pre existing condition and is no longer covered???? (therefore meaning any treatment, meds or operations after that first year is not covered?)

Probably a good one to check up with the actual insurer. I'd be pretty upset if they claimed a pre-existing condition if it didn't exist during the first year I insured with them.

I also think its worth keeping in mind the cliche that "insurance companies are in the business of NOT paying claims".

Edited by RubyBlue

I wouldn't have thought so - you tend to insure for an ongoing period, so while you may only pay the first year up front, I'm sure they operate on the basis that you will renew. As long as you don't attempt to insure a dog that you know has been diagnosed as having HD, and claim that it doesn't have a pre-exising condition, you should be fine.

That's just what I have always thought, but worth giving a call just to make sure, and make a record of whatever they say, who you speak to and their manager etc. Just to create a non-paper based "paper trail". A verbal.. trail? :)

Ok so I have a similar question I hope the OP doesn't mind if I ask here.

I have a feeling that my puppy has patella luxation. So far I have not taken her to the vet to get it checked out (she is too young). My puppy, Heidi, hops occasionally and PL is very common in her breed so there is a good chance she is affected. So if I apply for insurance now, while the condition isn't obvious and it hasn't been confirmed by the vet, could I make a claim for the operation in a years time if the condition worsens and she ends up needing an operation? Or could the insurance company decline on the basis that from their point of view the condition could have been present at the time I applied for insurance and I just didn't notice?

Hopefully that makes sence and I haven't hijacked the thread - I wouldn't have but it seems similar to the original question.

If a vet hasnt diagnosed anything, then apply now before taking her to the vet! Most policies from what I can see have a 30 day waiting period, so wait at least 30 days before visiting the vet (though you're talking years, so wont be an issue)

you can't claim for cruciate ligaments within the 1st 6 months unless you have forwarded a letter from your vet at the beginning stating your dog doen't have the problem when 1st insuring. This is with Medibank Private.

Edited by Rebanne

Cruciates are the only condition with a waiting period. Otherwise you can not claim for VET diagnosed pre existing conditions.

We had a lump taken out of doof a couple of months after getting insurance. We had to send in his full vet records with the claim to prove it hadn't been previously noted/diagnosed. They never asked when the lump appeared just went off the vet record :)