Breed Suggestions?

c-natalie

Hi, me and my partner are looking at getting a dog mid next year but we are a bit stumped as to what breed to get, so we'd love some suggestions! We want to plan ahead and meet breeders, talk to people and find out as much as possible before settling on our puppy.

We are looking for a dog that:

* is fairly active - we go for walks everyday and the dog would accompany us on these walks (of course not so much as a puppy)

* is happy to be outside - we are not looking for a 'lap dog'

* is good around horses and livestock (me and my partner are both involved with these but we live in suburbia so we'd really like a dog that could appreciate the best of both worlds and that would be good to take to the farm as well as to the local shops)

* ideally we'd be looking at something medium-big sized - not too fussed about coat maintenance as we are happy to brush everyday etc

* something that is generally good with felines - but in saying that our cat is inside so this may not pose too much of a problem

So far we have in mind border collies - but I was a little bit concerned they might not be suited to the suburban backyard lifestyle as well as the farm.

Any ideas/suggestions? :)

You might need to train a BC to be good with your livestock, but that's certainly do-able.

An ACD might be a good fit too, in my experience a bit less kinetic than sheepdogs and less likely to get a kick from a horse since they have an instictive way of flattening themselves.

Either way your cat might be in for a shock :D

Edit: if you are in a hotter part of Qld maybe a kelpie over a BC, since they are bred for better heat tolerance? Also Aussie sheps are gorgeous, definitely worth considering!

Edited by Weasels

Forgot to mention, my dogs live happily with two indoor cats. Two of my dogs came here as adults and didn't gave a problem getting along with the cats.

We also have chooks. My departed boy would chase them and kill them, my young boy chases them but hasn't a clue what to do once he catches them, the others take no notice of them.

To be honest, if you like Bordr Collies and do your research well, you'll find one who'll suit. Plenty of Border Collies live in suburbia and never see a paddock or a sheep and have happy, fulfilled lives.

Some Border Collies could fit that description. A female is less likely to think she is a lap dog than a male but an only Border Collie does prefer to be inside with the owners when they are home at least for some of every day. To be safe around horses and livestock they really need to be trained in basic herding so you can control their natural instinct to round up everything that moves. Otherwise look for one with very little herding instinct. There is often one in a litter that is more chilled out and not really into chasing anything much. Temperaments within litters vary a lot from the lounge lizard to very hyper with high drive, so it isn't just a matter of bloodlines but getting the right puppy for your situation.

A more laid back breed with a similar heritage is the Collie. Some will still herd but there are less these days with strong herding instincts than there are Border Collies. I have no idea why this loyal and beautiful breed is less popular these days than it was in the past.

Both breeds should be fine if raised with cats.

Another option could be a Dalmation but they don't like the cold so would need a very snug kennel if expected be an outside dog. They have a long reputation of being good with horses and don't have any herding instinct.

My first thought was Aussie Shepard. A friend of mine has 2, they are fabulous with her cats and she has lots of horses that they are great with also. All the Aussies I have met have been beautiful happy friendly dogs :)

Another vote for Aussies :thumbsup:

Though potentially a number of other breeds could be suitable including Border Collies, Koolies, Kelpies, Labradors, GSP, Weim etc depending on what you like.

Are you looking for a long coated breed?

Are you looking for an outside only dog?

Old English would fit in well with what you are after, particularly if you are happy to brush (you can keep their coats clipped but they grow out so you'd have to brush out the coat while it's growing and before their next clip).

I'd say both setters that Purdie recommended are not that trustworthy at sticking near their property if they have the option to run off... plus not sure how happy they'd be being a 24/7 outside dog.

Thanks for everyones replies so far! Does anyone have any experience with Springer spaniels? That was the other breed we were considering.

I have a working English Springer Spaniel - very human oriented but they really must have a job and they are INCREDIBLY birdy. No problems if we are training (obedience/agility/retrieving) as I have rewarded focus heavily but Em's idea of relaxing is chasing birdies into the sunset. Not a dog that would just hang around with you in the paddock if you weren't paying attention - although of course it always depends on their breeding. Would be fine outside in a pack but definitely not as a single dog - Em loves to snuggle and is asleep on my feet as I type after a good training session.

I also have a Dally - tend to be very laid back around other animals but I'm not sure if they are the temperament you are looking for. With their short coat they certainly feel the cold too - my lad wears a couple of coats when we camp.

ETA: Both my dogs are brilliant with my 3 cats - but I have strict ground rules from the day pups come home.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Another vote for Aussies :thumbsup:

Though potentially a number of other breeds could be suitable including Border Collies, Koolies, Kelpies, Labradors, GSP, Weim etc depending on what you like.

Are you looking for a long coated breed?

Are you looking for an outside only dog?

NO to Weimaraner if you want it to be an outside dog. They don't do that well outside all the time...

I forgot a Bearded Collie. Friends have a beardie in a similar situation as yours. They live in surburbia during the week, farm on weekends.

Coat care is more than I personally would be prepared to do, but daily brushing would be more than adequate.

When they aren't done up for show, Beardies look a lot like old english sheepdogs except smaller and not as hariy :laugh:

I had Springers growing up, and my parents still have one. The ones I have experienced would suit your situation well from your description. Ours were always outside when the family was away (work/school) and was in the house or around the family when we were there. A decent walk daily was enough to keep them out of trouble. Ours were always from show breeders and came into our lives at age 12-18 months- usually show dogs the breeders moved on. So cant comment on what they are like as pups.

I didnt find ours to have problems with cats, or livestock either.