Eastern Creek Quarantine Station

Mathilda's Mum

Hi - I'm desperately trying to secure an import permit to bring a pup in from the UK before the new Category 4 EU rules take effect on 1st January 2012. If she doesn't land in Australia in 2011 she has to have the rabies vaccination & tests which means I can't bring her out until much older & the breeder is worried about running her on for me & the extra risks associated with sending an older dog.

I want my puppy to go to Spotswood but they are already booked up to the 5th December & close their books on 21st December (last day for airport collections). I can't book a place without the granted import permit & I am still waiting for it. Apparently there is a massive back log at AQIS because of the new EU requirements.

Spotswood have advised me to change my import permit application & select Eastern Creek instead as they can take bookings in a couple of weeks.

I would really appreciate any advice / comments / warnings ??? about Eastern Creek before I do anything. I'm in Melb so can't go out there myself.

You are welcome to PM if you prefer rather than commenting publicly.

Thanks!

We imported our girl from Germany to Eastern Creek and did not have any issues, once we had a kennel attendant that actually knew dogs!

I went to Quarantine every day that I was allowed to, took bones and special treats in and left them in the kitchen fridge and she was given them during the day. Weekends were different, because they only had casual staff on, so I never left anything for the weekend because it was a waste of time.

That was in 2008 but last year I pretty much did the same thing for a friend in Qld that imported a girl in whelp from Germany and found things to be much the same. It might be different now though.

If it was me, and if I wasn't going to visit during Quarantine, I would pick Byford in Perth over Eastern Creek.

You won't get into Byford until next year :(

I had a lady contact me from the UK who was looking at sending her Border Terrier girl out prior to the new regs - I was going to visit her in quarantine, collect her when her time was up and board her here until her owners arrived but the plan was scotched due to Byford not having availability until well after the 1st Jan :(

ETA: I hope you get something sorted for your new girl MM, love the Leos! :)

Edited by Poo-Fong

Our boy was at Eastern Creek earlier this year and I was very happy with how it all went.

He was brought out in summer unfortunatly and being a coated breed we were worried about how it would all go but the staff took excellent care of him during his stay.

I would be happy to use them again.

And if you canät get there to spend time with the dog yourself you can pay to have someone come and groom and walk your dog.

We had 2 come out of Eastern Creek 2 months ago and there were no issues. You can hire a dog walker to go in a couple of times a week if you can't go yourself. They provide you with the number to contact the handler looking after your dog and there is no restriction on calling theml. They report how your dogs eat, their weight and will give your dog treats and toys if you want to send them through. I would use them again. They have provision for 200 dogs and I was told have never been full.

Wouldn't touch it with a 10 feet pole . It was there that Yegor went to and he was skin and bone on coming out , was sick for a week before they didn't anything aabout

Now he does not trust anyone that he does not know and it took us 12 month to be able to walk out with a lead in our hand without him running to hide . Even now as much as he is my boy he still ducks down on the ground if I have a lead . :mad

My boy will be going through Eastern Creek also just before xmas and was also told they will always have capacity. Saves having to get permits changed. I will visit a few times and will also get the walkers to come in and check up on him. VERY VERY EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I brought a bitch into Eastern creek in March.I used Dog Walkers to visit her and they were great .She is the sunniest,sweetest bitch and has been a joy to have at home where she lives inside most of the time but has no issues about being in a run outside from time to time.Nothing she has done or seen with me as thrown her in the least and I considered her bomb proof.

However ,I recently had her implanted which involved her staying for a few days in kennel situation.She was very unhappy & stressed and behaving totally out of character.We were so concerned that she went from the vet where she was fine ,to my friend where she was her sunny self.The bitch was both kennelled and inside in the UK and the breeder is a friend . I was there this year working with this bitch so know her temperament and that she had no issues being kennelled.

All very strange.Did something happen in quarantine? Won't ever know but it makes me wonder.

I would rather bring an older dog ,rather than a pup into quarantine.The lack of companionship and stimulation would worry me for a baby.Not a lot of fun for any dog and the constant barking.Yikes!The staff I met were nice but pretty clueless to my questions about protocol if there was a disease outbreak.

I would definitely use a visiting service in your situation.Dogwalks posts pictures of your dog after every visit on their site and they rang me with any questions regarding toy's or food & just to let me know how she was getting along.The cost is reasonable and after all the money you will have spent it is just another drop in the ocean:) Try to plan your visits for 'visiting days' so that your puppy gets the maximum visits available.

Also try to get your agent to get puppy on a flight that lands later in the morning.They go to the airport early and then wait until 12midday.My bitch came in at 6am so was in her crate an extra 6 or so hours.I think the same applies in the afternoon so do check.

Don't forget to put your import certificate and your airline bill somewhere safe as you will need them to register your puppy here:)

Thanks so much everyone for your replies & advice - much appreciated.

Fortunately for me Eastern Creek is no longer an issue.

My import permit arrived this morning - YAY - :happydance: & due to a cancellation at Spotswood they have been able to book my puppy in there at the beginning of December.

I am sooooooooooooooo relieved. :happydance2:

Thanks once again.

Cheers

My import permit arrived this morning - YAY - :happydance: & due to a cancellation at Spotswood they have been able to book my puppy in there at the beginning of December.

Thanks once again.

Cheers

That is wonderful news! :thumbsup:

Now you just have to survive the nervous wait until your baby arrives :swing:

Thanks once again.

Cheers

Congratulations!! :thumbsup: All the best with your new arrival.

Congratulations on getting your permit and all organised for your new import into Australia very soon. thumbsup1.gif

I thought the new EU requirements were only for entering the UK and not exporting to Australia from what I have read.

Can you please give me the link to the new requirements please, much appreciate it.. thanks

Congratulations on getting your permit and all organised for your new import into Australia very soon. thumbsup1.gif

I thought the new EU requirements were only for entering the UK and not exporting to Australia from what I have read.

Can you please give me the link to the new requirements please, much appreciate it.. thanks

Because the UK, Ireland, Malta and Sweden have changed their import conditions to align with the other EU countries this means that from the 1st January 2012 they will become Category 4 countries.

Details can be found on the AQIS site - http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs

Thanks once again.

Cheers

How long did it take to get your permit?? I only lodged mine today but still hopeful I can get him here before 21 December.

[

How long did it take to get your permit?? I only lodged mine today but still hopeful I can get him here before 21 December.

Hi DLB,

It took nearly 4 weeks to get my permit issued.

If you are sending your dog to Eastern Creek you will be fine as they have vacancies now & right up to 21st December.

My problem was trying to secure a place at Spotswood as they are nearly booked right through to the last day.

Good luck with your new arrival.