Foreshore Beach, Botany

Nushie

So a friend and i have decided to give this beach a go and take the dogs for a walk on the sand. We thought would would try this beach mainly cause we are hoping it will be quieter that some of the other beaches in the area. I just want to know what time people think is best to go down there?? We were thinking early morning (weekends) but didnt know if there times that we should avoid or that it gets busy?

What times do you go down to the beach for a walk on the weekends?

Do you like this beach? I have heard the water can get a little dirty at times?

Thanks in advance.

Don't go in the bushes!! It's a bit of a beat - so can find some unpleasant surprises for dogs to find!

Haha i had heard some of some dodgey dealings, but as it is an on lead beach, they wont be in the bushes.

Check the tide timetable before you go as you will find quite a few horses down there early in the morning when it's low tide.

Horses were a big concern of mine, I used to walk down at Coniston beach in Wollongong and they exercises horses down there too, and you cannot hear them approach you and the first you know they are behind you is when the jockey is swearing at you to get out the way. But i will check the tides - thanks for the tip.

If you are talking about the beach just at Kyeemagh, by the old flight tower. Where there is off street parking.

Okay, the horses are mainly down there early in the morning, however, both the trotter people and the racing people are lovely. What happens is if dog people and horse people are at the beach at the same time most of us divide the beach in half and the dog people stay at one end and the horse people at the other, it has worked well in the last 20 years that I have used the beach.

You get some people that walk just up to the flight parimeter of the airport to take photos. As for the guys that use the bushes for a beat, they tend to give up when there are so many dogs there in summer, also sometimes the police swim their horses there as well in summer, they don't hang around.

If you are talking about the beach where you park on Foreshore Drive itself, you have to park there on the side of the road, make sure you have collars and leads on your dogs as the trucks fly along at 70 kph minimum and don't leave a lot of room to get out of the car, also the beach isn't far from the road and if your dog took off it could run back to the road to quickly.

Note, you do get some people down there with very small dogs and know dog knowledge.

Jager really enjoyed his trip to the beach. Went barreling into the water and once it got to neck level he froze and had no idea what to do. Slowly he made his way out. After that he was very careful not to go to deep, stayed around belly height for most of it. He loved the dry sand, every time we hit dry sand he did zoomies! I had him on an extension lead so that he could have some freedom but couldn't get into any trouble.

Only 2 other people down there with dogs, both had very well behaved dogs.

post-21391-0-60951200-1319863163_thumb.jpg

Glad you had a good time, which beach did you use the airport one or the one of Foreshore Drive itself?.

Hi,

If you go during the week in the middle of the day, you are likely to meet a Pointer exhibitor who takes about 9 dogs to swim........it's ok the join in with this gang....the dogs and the owner are great.

Glad you had a good time, which beach did you use the airport one or the one of Foreshore Drive itself?.

Hi,

If you go during the week in the middle of the day, you are likely to meet a Pointer exhibitor who takes about 9 dogs to swim........it's ok the join in with this gang....the dogs and the owner are great.

Yeah - the Mirtos. They're normally there on a weekend too.

Watch out for a guy with a large group of dogs - a couple of black ones, 2-3 heelers and a very large malamute type called Elvis. Generally does not have leads and a couple of the dogs are not overly nice. He's told me Elvis used to be very dog aggressive but now he's fine - however he's stalked us down the beach a few times.

I was down there this morning and shared the beach with 4 racehorses from the Waterhouse stables.

Water was dirty and full of rubbish.

We parked at the Botany Boat Ramp. Looks like a fairly new car park?? It wasn't a huge stretch of beach but enough for the dogs to play. I can't imagine that's the beach the horses are on as it wouldn't be long enough for them to get a good work out.

Either way it was a good morning out.

Think there are 2 different beaches here that we are talking about.

I have only been to the long beach which runs parellel to one of the runways.

Last time we were there there was a sign saying tat dogs must be on lead ??

It wasn't there before. Not much point in taking the dogs to the beach if they can't have a run and a swim.

Does anyone have any info on this?

From my reseach both beaches are on lead beaches. I just took a retractable lead, I hate them with a passion but it meant that he could run and swim. Not that the sign deterred the other owners down there, 2 other owners there with 3 dogs each, all off lead.