Breed Suggestions For Us

Snoopy21

Like Corvus I grew up with a corgi(pembroke) who was the 4th brother in our family.

Played with us all the time but I wouldn't say he was athletic.

Wonderful dog who would travel everywhere with us.

We stopped once in the middle of nowhere in the snowy mountains for a toilet break after he had taken a pit stop he was told to sit and wait whilst we took our pitstop. About 20 miles down the road we realised no dog in the car. (My poor parents trying to juggle 3 boys and a dog on long road trips must have been a nightmare.) When we got back there he was sitting outside the toilet block in the precise spot we had left him, just waiting. My brother did the same going to the local shop walked all the way back again to find our dog just sitting there waiting for him.

We were human and made these mistakes, he on the other hand was a a loyal dog and knew we would be back, no panic.

I think they could tend to be possessive but in our case he was a real family dog who tolerated 3 very active and boisterous boys. Unbearably sad when he passed.

But I am not a good advocate for any breed I love them all.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as shedding with Aussies, it depends on the dog. I have one, Ripley, who is followed by a snow storm wherever he goes. We've only had him since August so I can't tell whether it's seasonal or he's just like this all the time, but honestly. I've never seen an Aussie shed so much hair as he does.

The others are all fairly good....Shae doesn't appear to shed much at all, Isaak's comes out when I brush him and Dusty has two big coat drops a year when she's coming into season, where she sheds more coat than she ever owned. That lasts a couple of weeks, then she's back to hardly shedding much at all. We have the four inside of an evening, and sweep the living area (tiles) once or twice a day and that seems to keep it under control.

If you like Corgis, maybe check out Cardigan Corgis. They seem to have a sweet, tolerant nature that would be good with kids.

I agree 100% with what Gayle has said, shedding of Aussies really comes down to the dog's individual coat. I have one girl who drops bucketloads most of the year, and when she's due in season it's like a snowstorm inside. But the other, her half sister, has a very different texture and type of coat, and doesn't drop much at all.

Lappies would love your setup! Like Whiskedaway's girl, mine has a coat that looks far harder than it really is. She generally only needs a bath before a show, and I don't show her very often. Dirt really does just fall off her, and I've never had a grass seed problem although I've heard of a couple of lappies who have had one get into a foot or bottom. Outside of a coat blow or show groom, she really only needs grooming maybe once a fortnight for general tidiness and to look at potential trouble spots like behind the ears and elbows. Dust bunnies in my house are not the fault of the dog, I get far more cat hair deposited on everything. Loves to run around and be silly or lay beside the couch for hours having a belly rub, has never met a dog or human she doesn't like but had to be taught manners for greeting both as she just wants to rush in and jump around, is amazingly gentle with smaller children even though she doesn't interact with them all that often. Being very intelligent, she needs something to do, and flyball or agility plus obedience would fill that need - mine gets bored with old-fashioned obedience classes if it's bashing around a paddock for an hour, so something a bit more challenging and fun would be in order.

That said, it sounds like a boxer would suit you perfectly. My family dog growing up was a boxer, and my parents have just got their fourth. I love them, incredibly playful, definitely up for some roughhousing and such happy dogs. The size may go with your current dog a bit better than a Lappie. My memory of the weight range was a little lower than the figures quoted earlier - our first girl was a small boxer and she weighed only 18kg in her young, fit days but I would expect mid-20's is more typical. My parents' new boy is huge for a boxer and I don't think he'd top 30kg at the moment, but he still has some maturing to do. They do tend to leave a light layer of short hairs on everything they touch if not groomed with a mitt but they're very low fuss grooming-wise.

Ok.....so narrowing it down. We are down to Aussies, Lappies, Pointers or Corgis. I'm off to do a bit more research on each.

I have never met a Finnish Lapphund - I'll have to get to a show and have a look. Are there any being shown in Tassie does anyone know?

Ok.....so narrowing it down. We are down to Aussies, Lappies, Pointers or Corgis. I'm off to do a bit more research on each.

I have never met a Finnish Lapphund - I'll have to get to a show and have a look. Are there any being shown in Tassie does anyone know?

No, no Lappies being shown in Tassie at all. In fact I dont think I have ever seen one in the Tassie rings :) ... There are Aussies at most shows, usually Pointers and always Corgi's as well...

Shame your in Tassie was going to invite you for a visit... We have pointer babies due in the next three weeks... plus my best friend owns and shows Aussies... could of killed two birdies with one stone!:laugh: