Hugo Is Chewing On His Foot!

Dju

Hey guys, Hugo has been chewing on his right front foot and I don't know why. At first we assumed it was a bindi, but when I looked between the pads to check the skin there, lo and behold no bindi! He's been specifically chewing the bottom of his right front foot, which makes me think that there may be something bothering him, but I have no idea what. I've put a sock on his foot to stop him from doing it, is there anything else I can do for him? What could it be?

Eek!! I dont' know, I sure hope not. I don't see anything on the underside of his foot, I've inspected it with a magnifying glass and couldn't see anything--do you think there could be some sort of splinter that's gone deep under the skin?

I just parted his toes on that foot to check and it looks like there's some sort of.. I don't know exactly what it is, reminds me of congealed blood, but he doesn't seem sore or tender near that area so it can't be a cut (or can it?). But yeah, some sort of dark brown "dirt" deposits between his toes and against the big pad of his foot. I'm starting to lean towards thrush personally but I'm going to take him to the vet tomorrow to get it checked out.

• 1 month later...

Licking or chewing of feet can cause the feet to have an "allergy" look by the time owners look at the feet/pads due to the chewing. What can start the chewing in the first place can be referral pain/niggling that they feel in their extremities when they have pinched nerves from being out of alignment. If the dog is out in the shoulders or has pinched nerves in their back (most do at some time in their life from stairs, jumping on and off furniture, slippery floors, rough play etc), then this will cause this reaction. An animal chiropractor can release the pinched nerves, muscle spasm and pain will then be eliminated and you can rule that out as the cause - generally works very well in my experience!

Did you find out what it was :confused:

I just parted his toes on that foot to check and it looks like there's some sort of.. I don't know exactly what it is, reminds me of congealed blood, but he doesn't seem sore or tender near that area so it can't be a cut (or can it?). But yeah, some sort of dark brown "dirt" deposits between his toes and against the big pad of his foot. I'm starting to lean towards thrush personally but I'm going to take him to the vet tomorrow to get it checked out.