Two Weeks In A Crate - How To Keep Happy

Curlybert

One of my Goldens (aged 5) suffered a critical chest injury in an accident on Friday morning that caused a tear in major airway. She was rushed to my vet and then afterwards to the emergency vet on Friday night, where quite a few litres of air were extracted over 48 hours, firstly by needle and then by a drain that was finally removed this morning as the quantity of air being extracted had reduced to virtually nothing. This means the tear in the airway is healing. She was transferred to my usual vet this morning and came home late this aftrenoon. However, she is still in a danger zone and must be crated and kept quiet and inactive for at least two weeks.

She is very stressed in the crate - it is huge (extra large size)and previously housed my older Golden who had a titanium implant six weeks ago to repair a cruciate ligament. This older girl was a perfect patient, bless her. But Ms Rebel is living up to her name and is very distressed in the crate. I have given her valium has directed by the vet,ie only when stressed and I can't imagine her being any more stressed than she is now. We are trying to ignore her but she is still howling and upset and trying to get out. I am really worried that she will cause her internal injury to reopen.

Any suggestions on how to calm her down?

make sure the crate is where you can see her and pat her and talk to her ..actually if she is that stressed, I'd be tempted to phone the vet and ask if she can be on a short lead, sitting with you ..better than a crate when you are there..as she will be content with you at her side ?

Bones/kongs/iceblocks...

sorry - hope all goes well tonight .

One of my rescue pei recently shattered her front leg a few weeks after being rehomed (and I do mean shattered, it took 5 hours to piece it back together).. She was to be on complete crate rest as well. They honestly tried everything , including the valium, but she was just injuring herself worse in the crate - even to the extent of turning the crate on its side, so they chucked the crate and she is on a lead in the house, sleeps on a lead next to their bed and goes to work with hubby and hangs out with the building crew. She is happy, contented and leg is mending nicely. If you dog just gets really stressed in the crate but will sit quietly beside you then I think Persephone's advice is solid.

If she is so stressed in the crate then surely you can have her beside you. I dont think valium is going to help if she gets so stressed and worked up in the first instance. Can you crate her beside your bed at night. Fans on her to keep her cool if it is hot maybe.

In this instance I dont think ignoring her will help.

Good luck

Thanks Pers. The crate is in the lounge room - we couldn't stand it and did de-crate her about 20 minutes ago. She's now having a kip (with a lead on) and is quite relaxed - thank Dog! My other Golden, Ms Billie, has had her bed removed to my daughter's room and is in there watching telly quite happily. There will be occasions when I will have to leave them unsupervised for an hour or two but when that happens I think I will put Billie in the crate and Rebel can roam around the lounge room with both entry doors closed. I think she will be less stressed that way.

Good idea about the kongs and iceblocks. Thanks again! And I DO have a new appreciation of dear old Billie - she's like a cat in lots of ways and not very 'needy' - I certainly appreciate that character trait at the moment! It has been a simply horrible three days. We nearly lost Rebel several times and it seems ironic that this evening I have been telling her to be quiet, trying to ignore her and telling her to calm down!

:grouphug: I hope everyone recovers soon.

Thanks Ams. I ran over her. She had escaped and I saw her tearing up the road and around the corner. I rushed inside, grabbed my car keys and reversed out the driveway like a maniac. Guess what happened next. How she got back so fast (in about 20 seconds) I have no idea. There have only been a handful of days in my entire life when I have ever felt as bad as I did over the past three days.

Edited by Curlybert

It was a blissful, quiet night, with Rebel sleeping next to the bed, as was always her habit. After spending from Friday morning to Monday afternoon as a patient in unfamiliar environments being poked and prodded by unfamiliar people trying desperately to save her and then when stable to monitor her, re-establishing old routines has had such a calming effect. I'll certainly keep her confined, still in the loungeroom (but not in a crate!) where much of the day-to- day household activity takes place. She's a people person and she's there now, snoozing away.

Thnaks again to everyone for their thoughts and excellent advice. And I am incredibly grateful to all the wonderful vets and vet nurses who saved her precious life.

Edited by Curlybert