Amount Of Kibble

Jarvis

Hi,

My 14 week old cocker pup Jarvis is only eating about half the amount of kibble that it recommends on the Eukanuba packet.

He weighs just over 6kg, is very healthy, had his final vacc at the vets yesterday who said he's perfect. I'm not concerned about his weight, just confused why they recommend such a huge amount. Is everyone else finding the same thing?

Jarvis gets kibble morning and night and at lunchtime gets a chicken wing or a couple of chicken necks or some yoghurt and sardines. He mostly seems to eat the kibble in the eve, doesn't get through much in the morning.

Interested to hear your experiences...

The amount on the packet is a recommendation only & every dog is different. If he is healthy & putting on weight then I wouldn't be worried. You could try mixing something with the kibble, like mince, sardines or egg to make it more desireable for him or maybe a bit of salt free, home-made chicken or beef stock. The amount recommended is also for those feeding 100% kibble, which in your case, he is getting other food as well.

Forget about what's written on any dry food packets, it's just a guide. Go by how your pup looks. You will constantly be adjusting the amounts you feed, as your pup has growth spurts.

Your pup could go to two meals a day, make one raw and one dry. There's no need to mix anything with his dry, as you said he's getting through it at night. He's obviously getting more than he needs.

i found this too with my pup. He was on eukanuba initially and now I've swapped him to black hawk and I add things like an egg or some mince or vegies to it but with both foods I found he's only needing about 2 thirds of the recommended amount and is looking fantastic - although some days he'll look a little lean so I'll give him a bit more that day ( growth spurts! :) ) Chatted to the vet, and she said the same as the others here. the recommended amount is just a guide and to let what the dog looks like dictate how much he gets!