For Those In Canberra

lilmisssascha83

Hi Everyone,

This will probably apply to those in Canberra but does anyone know where abouts at Lake Burley Griffin I can take my dog for a swim? Or if we are even alloud to take them now? I looked it up and it does say you can take your dog for a swim there but I'm at a loss as to where exactly? I've seen pics of people taking their dogs (where there is a bit of sand) but can't find the place.

Any Canberra Doler's got any ideas?? While she has her little swimming pool outside I think she'd much rather go for a swim in this heat.

Not my part of town but I was out at the Yacht Club one night and happen to notice some kids swimming in the water around there. There are boating ramps along one part of the shore but if you go around it appears there is sandy banks with no boating ramps. I couldn't see anything on there site about swimming but maybe give them a call and see if dogs are allowed to swim near there. The boating ramp facility area is located off Alexandrina DR, but the sandy bank area I recall seeing was near Lennox Gardens off Flynn DR.

Hope any of this helps you it's been awhile since I was out that way and having a quick look on google maps showed up something that may be of us to you if it's dog friendly swimming :).

http://www.canberrayachtclub.com.au/findus.htm

Also forgot to add. If your on the Tuggeranong side fairly certain dogs are allowed at Point Hut Crossing as my sister use to take my dog there and according to TaMS dogs are allowed there (doesn't mention swimming but it does say dogs allowed :confused:)

http://www.tams.act.gov.au/play/pcl/parks_reserves_and_open_places/recreation_in_acts_parks_forests_and_bushlands/murrumbidgee_river_corridor

So I just rang TAMS, sheese they really need to make things more clear for us. She said provided there is no signage then I shouldn't have any problems taking my girl out there. If there is signage ( that says no dogs allowed) obviously I can't. She said she couldn't find anything signage being there so we "should be ok".

I seriously think they need to make things ALOT more clear or actually have a properly list of where our dogs are allowed. I am also not particularly happy with the maps of offleash/on-lead areas. I have checked it and have asked other owners to check it and we are all in agreement where we can have our dogs on-lead and off-lead but seriously if you need a group to decipher a map then that's pretty sad. I mean we are all trying to do the right thing here but it doesn't help us if the people working there can't explain it to us.

Yes I saw that about Point Hut, might try the yacht club as it's a bit closer and see how I go. Thanks for your help though.

Canberra

Lakes - Dogs are permitted to swim in most of Canberra's lakes provided they are not within 10 metres of a sign-posted public swimming area. Watch out for the algae in the water though - often the lakes are closed because of this.

Rivers - On the Murrumbidgee River dogs are allowed to swim at Uriarra Crossing East; Uriarra Crossing West; Swamp Creek, and the western riverbank of Point Hut Crossing recreational area.

And that's it.

Are you an ARF member? An article on where to take your dog swimming in Canberra and the South Coast beaches is in the next issue of ChinWag - due early Dec ;)

Canberra

Lakes - Dogs are permitted to swim in most of Canberra's lakes provided they are not within 10 metres of a sign-posted public swimming area. Watch out for the algae in the water though - often the lakes are closed because of this.

Rivers - On the Murrumbidgee River dogs are allowed to swim at Uriarra Crossing East; Uriarra Crossing West; Swamp Creek, and the western riverbank of Point Hut Crossing recreational area.

And that's it.

Are you an ARF member? An article on where to take your dog swimming in Canberra and the South Coast beaches is in the next issue of ChinWag - due early Dec ;) thanks everyone

no im not a member. what do i need to do to become one? would be helpful though. im going to tomakin in early dec with my girl for some beach time yay

Canberra

And that's it.

Are you an ARF member? An article on where to take your dog swimming in Canberra and the South Coast beaches is in the next issue of ChinWag - due early Dec ;) thanks everyone

no im not a member. what do i need to do to become one? would be helpful though. im going to tomakin in early dec with my girl for some beach time yay

Go to www.fosterdogs.org and click the 'join us' link in the top right hand corner. ChinWag is full of information on ARF dogs and doggie stuff in general - but then, I'm biased ;)