Babysitting A Puppy

philippad

Morning all,

We're baby sitting a neighbour's puppy today (well, I am at work so OH is the lucky one). Pup is about 10-11 weeks old. This may be a silly question, but I want to make sure it's ok to take him into our backyard. We haven't had a dog since 2007 although we have had occasional visiting dogs. I haven't seen any dog poo though. We lost our cat 7 weeks ago, though she mostly used the front garden and her litter tray. So, would it be ok to take the pup into our backyard - supervised of course? I have no idea how long parvo/other diseases may stay around (in soil?).

His mum is bringing over nappy type mats that he uses at home so he can toilet inside if need be.

Thanks.

PS I am more than excited about having a little ball of fluff around, even briefly :)

Edited by philippad

Check your fencing, that is most important. Little dogs can push through wires and be away from you very quickly.

Aside from that, keep watch at all times and remove anything from the puppies mouth that shouldn't be there. Many plants are toxic (grass is fine) but you don't have time to pull out any plants, just enjoy the puppy.

Thanks Greymate - our fencing is a concern. We've decided to just keep him on the deck so he's safe & sound and away from the fence line/plants. He'll always be supervised when out there though.

We only have him for 24 hours - hopefully he'll have a little bit of play left in him this evening for me!

I've never had a puppy - so many things to consider.

Thanks again

Thanks Greymate - our fencing is a concern. We've decided to just keep him on the deck so he's safe & sound and away from the fence line/plants. He'll always be supervised when out there though.

We only have him for 24 hours - hopefully he'll have a little bit of play left in him this evening for me!

I've never had a puppy - so many things to consider.

Thanks again

Puppy will go through a series of quite a few sleep and play cycles over 24 hours. (depending on age) You will get a play session tonight.

The thing to do is let them sleep totally undisturbed when they want to, and be ready to take them straight outside for a play and toilet after they wake and after each meal.

Have fun. :)

Morning all,

We're baby sitting a neighbour's puppy today (well, I am at work so OH is the lucky one). Pup is about 10-11 weeks old. This may be a silly question, but I want to make sure it's ok to take him into our backyard. We haven't had a dog since 2007 although we have had occasional visiting dogs. I haven't seen any dog poo though. We lost our cat 7 weeks ago, though she mostly used the front garden and her litter tray. So, would it be ok to take the pup into our backyard - supervised of course? I have no idea how long parvo/other diseases may stay around (in soil?).

His mum is bringing over nappy type mats that he uses at home so he can toilet inside if need be.

Thanks.

PS I am more than excited about having a little ball of fluff around, even briefly :)

Good on you Philippad for asking - not silly at all! You are the sort of person I would be happy to leave a puppy with :)

Had a great time puppy sitting. A few lessons learnt:

1. If I ever have a puppy I will have at least one, if not two, crates for puppy to be popped in so I can cook, go to the toilet and get dressed in peace

2. One should not have slippers the same colour as a puppy

3. Puppies can be very active at 10pm and 5am

4. I do not sweep my kitchen floor often enough (blush)

5. Chihuahua puppy = jumping bean

Puppies are wonderful! But you all know that anyway! :)

post-8478-0-29793500-1322008763_thumb.jpg