New German Shepherd Parents

Janene

I have two small children and a puppy at the moment, she is big, bouncy and was quite bitey. What I found helped was taking her everywhere on the lead. Helped with toilet training, stopped knocking the children over and has helped with the biting. if she wasn't in her crate/room which has access to the yard outside she was inside on the lead with me. We did have the added strain of needing to keep her separate from our other dog for the first couple of months so also have baby gates. She still only interacts with the kids on the lead, that way I can keep her from

hurting them and vice versa.

Good luck!

Edited by Jetson

My old German Shepard RIP was a ankle nipper but so is my cocker spaniel it's just a puppy thing :) kovu our gsd grew up in a caravan while we where in the middle of moving houses we almost changed his name to Kato as he would spring out of no where charge full pelt down the caravan and go straight for the ankles it was so funny :)

Thank you :) We're very smitten with her.

She's going well. Sitting on command now :)

We are going to try to get her use to the leash next, so she won't freak out when we use it to take her to Puppy Pre School.

Is it true that a Raw Egg helps keep their coat shiny? How often should we give it to her? And should we mix it with raw meat?

This is her favourite thing to play with...It's a rope perch for our Indian Ring Necks' cage...It's too crowded in their for it to fit so Sasha has taken a liking to it lol.

post-42985-0-70387300-1322906201_thumb.jpg

Edited by Janene

We recently bought a shepherd and he was very nippy as a small puppy. He's now 6months old and so gentle. I would just keep a toy handy. He especially wanted to bite when you petted him so I let him bite on a toy and brushed or petted. He seemed happy with that. We have 3 kids with him all the time, 5 sometimes and he never jumps on them. He does jump on me when he gets REALLY excited but has to be just that. Very gentle boy now just a big sooky. Has matured well, but I hear that GSDs do mature a bit faster?

Aww thank you, well that makes me feel better lol. At this stage we're keeping our 15 month old and our GSD seperated unless we are there supervising as Sasha is just too excited and jumps/nips him which causes a stressful screaming match that stresses them both out. So until she's calmer we are just keeping it that way. I'm sure in time they are going to be the very best of friends....We are also adjusting Sasha to being outside without us there. We have completely puppy proofed the yard and gardens and she loves being outside, but gets very upset if we come back in without her. We aim to have her outside during the day with internal access to our laundry with her bed of a night....With the aid of a new comfy bed, chew toys and kongs full of treats she spent the whole afternoon outside yesterday without fuss. A couple of little whining fits but none of the hysterical yelping that usually follows us leaving her sight. So we are pretty pleased with ourselves. She's also been out all morning and is happy now to play on the back verendah and run down the back yard chasing a visiting bird or two. She loves her new bed, we just put her familiar blanket in it for her with her teddy and she took to it straight away. lots of treats helped I'm sure.