Toys For 2 Dogs To Play With

Whippetsmum

Following on from the Christmas pressie thread:

What games do your dogs like to play with together? What are their favourite shared toys?

My 2 don't share very well, e.g. one loves frisbees, but the other just snatches it. The only "toys" they sort of share are those rabbit fur squeaky rats, which they pull apart like Christmas bon bons. So I'm interested in toys that they can play with together, that won't be destroyed by Boxing Day.

I was thinking of starting this same thread. Mine do alot of tug or war. Play fighting too. I was trying to think of something else so they don't get bored. If I put two balls in they always both go for the same one. No matter which one Wilson has, Rhys just wants that one, so to avoid a fight, we are back to the good old rope! :doh:

Yep, tug with pretty much anything is the only real toy related game mine play together. They do spend a lot of time play fighting and playing bitey-face (and legs and tails and ears...)

Mine too! The best toy for my 2 dogs was- another dog! My foster dog has taught my mini dash to not be so dependent and taught my Maltese how to play. They all have heaps of fun! :D

An Invincibles 6 squeaker snake has kept three and sometimes all four of our dogs playing happily together. Just depends on if you can put up with the noise of multiple squeakers going off at the same time. Ever seen a snake bent into a triangle?

An Invincibles 6 squeaker snake has kept three and sometimes all four of our dogs playing happily together. Just depends on if you can put up with the noise of multiple squeakers going off at the same time. Ever seen a snake bent into a triangle?

x2! :thumbsup:

Since our puppy arrived 4 weeks ago this is an absolute favourite to play tug with and after a while you don't really hear the squeaking!!! :laugh:

x2! :thumbsup:

Since our puppy arrived 4 weeks ago this is an absolute favourite to play tug with and after a while you don't really hear the squeaking!!! :laugh:

That squeak! Riley jumps on his snake and the noise drives me batty. Ours has to be hidden in the cupboard every now and again for some piece and quiet :laugh:

Can anyone recommend some good tug toys? Most of the ones we have just get torn apart in a few hours...

We have a huge tug range and they are very hard wearing http://www.k9pro.com.au/categories/Tugs/

Personally I don't encourage my dogs to play together particularly with toys, just not something I see a point in.

Really? I'm curious, why not? I guess if your dogs are involved in lots of activities/agility etc, then they don't really need to play with each other... but for us, they just have their walks, and playing with each other in the back yard expends a lot of excess energy... Will check out the k9pro tugs, any you would recommend as being tougher than others? THe leather ones look good but not sure how they would hold up to two big dogs tugging on them.

Really? I'm curious, why not? I guess if your dogs are involved in lots of activities/agility etc, then they don't really need to play with each other... but for us, they just have their walks, and playing with each other in the back yard expends a lot of excess energy... Will check out the k9pro tugs, any you would recommend as being tougher than others? THe leather ones look good but not sure how they would hold up to two big dogs tugging on them.

I don't see the point or benefit in having my dogs develop a high value for one another. I'm not interested in it, I'd rather they see all the best rewards as coming from me, regardless of if I have a sport or 'pet only' dog.

In terms of choosing the right tug, that depends on what tug would be most suitable for your dog. The synthetic tugs for example are very tough but wouldn't be suitable for most dogs unless you had one that had a very hard bite and you had trouble getting the dog to release. The french linen and leather ones hold up pretty well, in fact I was just talking to a friend today whose leather tug was still going strong after 12 months and she uses it to train prey drive work on a pretty high drive dog every day.

Thanks for the suggestions. Mine like playing bitey and snapping games too. I like the sound of the Squeaky Snake toy, except we do have a real snake or two living close by near a creek, so I don't want to encourage them to investigate snakes. I know making tugs out of towels and things from around the house might be cheap, but if they made their own form the washing line, I'd be cranky! I'll go to the K9Pro website have have a look around.

I do understand what Hound Lover means, that we would all hope our dogs are rewarded by us, however, mine do spend a lot of time together, and if bored, my girl makes up some games we'd like to discourage, like Kill the watering system :mad , split the lizard :eek: , and shred the budgie :scold: ( don't know where the budgies come from) , but Blue is her favourite flavour). I am amazed at how much she achieves when she spends so much time sleeping.