Grooming Set Up For Medium To Large Dogs

Zug Zug

I have a mini poodle x and (until 6 months ago) had a bichon frise. He died at 13 years in June this year. I have recently put my name down for a standard poodle puppy, who will join us in January.

I have a history of back and neck problems, and had a spinal fusion 2 years ago on my neck. So while I really enjoy grooming my own dogs, I need to pay careful attention to ergonomics.

We have a great set up at our current home, but we are moving house this week so need to do something new. Current arrangement is a large (wide) laundry tub sitting in a big island bench under our rear pergola. Once the dogs are clean and wet, they just step straight out of the tub onto the bench which doubles as the grooming table. Hot and cold water, shower nozzle attachedto hose on tap, works really well for small dogs.

But I had to lift them up and down, and I am unsure if it might be too high a platform height for grooming a standard poodle.

What do other people do? Is it safe to have bigger breeds jump onto and down from the grooming table? Will they do it if they know a bath is comig?

I am happy to spend a bit of money to get it right, but would prefer no more than 1000 dollars all up including plumbing etc.

Washing in the bath at home not an option - too hard on my back. My dogs are pets, not show dogs. I am quite short - 155cm or approx 5 feet 2 inches.

I love it and may just do that again.

I would think a laundry tub would be too small for a standard but you could get a booster bath instead of that and then a suitable grooming table next to it.

My guess with 2 such different sized dogs is you might be better with an adjustable height grooming table.

I use these for grooming. I buy the $500 dollar ones but that is for a commercial setting dealing with all sorts of dogs. We use an angle grinder to cut out a slot in the end to accommodate a grooming arm clamp, and buy a thick heavy rubber mat from Clark rubber for the top. They are easily wheeled around and are rock solid steady.

For domestic use you would get away with a rubber suction bath mat on the top for non slip, and if you go in store, you might find one of the cheaper options will suit you. The ones I have go down to ankle level and pump up well past my waist, so you can use it for both your dogs. You could even wheel it to an area of concrete or paving and wash the dog right on it.

https://www.gasweld.com.au/search?q=scissor+lift&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

Great idea - I hadn't thought of the option of washing the dogs directly on the table. I don't know why not - the water would drain straight off (into the garden) and I would be at a good heigh to do feet, then a good height to do topknots as well.

A few questions:

- are they heavy or difficult to wheel around? They don't look like they would be, but I do need to be careful

- how do you raise and lower the top? Is it something you pump with your foot? Would a dog be comfortable standing on the table (with a grippy mat obviously) while I raised and lowered it?

With the booster bath, how stable are they do you think? I assume this is something the dog jumps up into, and with a standard I would need it to be pretty stable. But I do like the overall set up of these from what I can see on the web. And the fact that I can direct the water to drain away to a garden bed of my choosing, using the drain hose.

I could imagine:

- dog hops into booster bath, for a wash

- then dog hops up a bit more from the booster bath to the adjustable table (I then adjust the table to the correct height)

- when finished, I lower the table so the dog can hop off safely.

All of which would need to be set up handy to plumbing and a waterproof electricity outlet, some shelving and storage.

No lifting - could work!

Edited by Zug Zug

Great idea - I hadn't thought of the option of washing the dogs directly on the table. I don't know why not - the water would drain straight off (into the garden) and I would be at a good heigh to do feet, then a good height to do topknots as well.

A few questions:

- are they heavy or difficult to wheel around? They don't look like they would be, but I do need to be careful

- how do you raise and lower the top? Is it something you pump with your foot? Would a dog be comfortable standing on the table (with a grippy mat obviously) while I raised and lowered it?

With the booster bath, how stable are they do you think? I assume this is something the dog jumps up into, and with a standard I would need it to be pretty stable. But I do like the overall set up of these from what I can see on the web. And the fact that I can direct the water to drain away to a garden bed of my choosing, using the drain hose.

I could imagine:

- dog hops into booster bath, for a wash

- then dog hops up a bit more from the booster bath to the adjustable table (I then adjust the table to the correct height)

- when finished, I lower the table so the dog can hop off safely.

All of which would need to be set up handy to plumbing and a waterproof electricity outlet, some shelving and storage.

No lifting - could work!

I don't know anything about booster baths (although i'd like to know 'coz my snazzy Savel hydrobath is now in my new salon but i still groom several G/Shepherd/Lab/Husky type dogs at home and am looking around for a bargain hydrobath or an alternative!)

As for the hydraulic tables

They are extremely heavy to lift in & out of a vehicle to actually get them home. 2 or 3 strong people to lift, or we made makeshift ramps when we recently moved our 2 to the salon in the van. However, once on the ground, a child could wheel them around. They have very sturdy wheels and very good wheel locks.

The top goes up & down with a foot pump very easy. For up you pump the foot pedal, and for down there is a release on the push bar. Some people modify them by removing the push bar and relocating the down release to the bottom near the foot pump, but i find the push bar handy to have as a towel & leash rail.

They raise & lower is fairly smooth, but suggest bracing the dog slightly around the front quarters and sweet talking if you don't have a grooming arm attached, while you do the re positioning. I've never had a dog show more than a fleeting dislike of the up/down, and they recover almost instantly as long as they feel you are there for them.

The top on the red ones is big enough for a standard.If you give them too much room they will just move away so you have to reach over, which kills your back!. The yellow one is light, wobbly & has a very small top. Ideal for home grooming small dogs, but not for a standard.

here are my 2 in the salon. The red one near the dryers is almost right down, it would actually go a tiny bit lower. The black one is just sprayed black by us, it's exactly the same red one, and goes well higher than it is pictured here.

post-34343-0-46992500-1322444277_thumb.jpg

post-34343-0-88293900-1322444289_thumb.jpg

post-34343-0-56177800-1322444302_thumb.jpg

I actually have a hydro not a booster so not sure how stable they are.

The first dog bath I used was actualy an old bathtub set inti a frame at the right height with table attached so they got onto that and stepped into the bath. It the had a couple of tubs of water and a pump, similar to the poor mans hydrobath thread started by Gayle in general. So you could go to a salvage place for a bath ad have a frame with cupboards built to the height you want and jisthave the dog jump onto your portable table and jump across.

Hi Zug Zug, here is a couple of shots I took a while ago of my grooming set up. I have had back surgery twice so its important that its as easy for me as possible.

I have plumbed hot water just around the corner from the hydro bath, the table is a solid metal outdoor table that my husband made a cover for. I put rubber matting on the floor and I also use a chair to sit when I am doing the standards feet and my smaller dogs.

In the bottom left corner of one of the photo's you can see a lower table, my standard and Newf jump onto that table then up onto the higher table. The only ones I lift are my toy and the Jack.

Whoops hope the photos are not to big

DSC04125.jpg

DSC04126.jpg