Colitis

Remy1965

My cocker spaniel 8.5 years old has been diagnosed with colitis and he's had this for about 3 months or so. He's been on two courses of anti-biotics and is now on the Science Diet I/D strictly for over a week. However he's not getting better - he cries when he tries to poo and when he does poo, it's soft and has blood at the end of the stool. This lasts for a few seconds and then he's fine - happy, etc. He's also eating normally and hasn't lost weight. A stool test came back normal but showed signs of some Malabsorption, hence the Science Diet. The vet is convinced that it will rectify itself overtime on this diet, however my dog is in extreme pain when trying to poo. Any advice or suggestions please or should I go for a second opinion?

Many thanks

When I've had an issue with my dog finding it hard to poo before it was actually cured by an animal chiropractor! Due to pain my dog felt when trying to squat and push out a poo (sorry to get descriptive) as a result of having pinched nerves he would cry and look uncomfortable straining. His stools appeared to have changed but I also found this was due to him "putting off" having to do a poo rather than an internal problem. Once adjusted by my mobile animal chiropractor and all pain removed his bowel movements were fine! Good luck, just another idea to think about..