Different Temperaments/characteristics

DogNerd

Should also note that many gun dogs were bred as companion dogs for the landed gentry in a period where, at least in the UK, social mores were very repressive. I suspect some breeds were selected as much to provide affection and satisfy natural desires for warmth and contact as for the hunt: gentleness and intuitive sense of human emotion was highly valued. This selection for closeness, along with the requirement of steady energy for the hunt, is what has made the Labrador excel as a guide dog.

I have owned (from childhood), a working breed (kelpie x ACD), a spitz (Keeshond), a bullbreed (staffy cross) & now own a gun breed (golden retriever). All were/are pretty much spot on for their known temperaments.

Of all of them, I have discovered the gun breed suits me best, I enjoy the milder temperament, biddability & affection.

I'd consider a smaller spitz breed again too- my keeshond was divine & while independent, very much a loving family dog.

For me, the working breed and bullbreed were both too full on & required intense training, as their breed descriptions outline.

I have a golden who is high maintenance. She likes to please me to a certain extent but shes also a princess and very demanding.

I wonder if female golden retrivers tend to be a bit of a princess :)

Mine is like that too. Very good tempered but quite demanding. I actually call her my "little princess"

My herding dogs all differ greatly in their intelligence and use of it. Benson was scarily smart and he was an awesome problem solver. To the point whee we had to be one step ahead oh him all the time, and I always had the distinct impression that given poor leadership, he'd have taken over in a heartbeat.

Dusty doesn't have half the brains he did, she is just happy bopping along doing whatever, as long as its with me. She's not a great thinker and gives up easily if she can't solve the problem. She is probably the easiest dog of all mine to live with as a house pet. She's happy to do nothing all day and has a soft sweet biddable nature. She is not ideal as either a show or performance dog though.

Isaak and Shae are similar, it's all about what's in it for them. Isaak is probably softer natured than Shae but he's had an easier upbringing than her.…he's been totally spoilt and never known a harsh word, whereas she had a rough start to life. Neither are easily offended, both are bundles of energy and both have off switches when needed. I actually prefer this demeanor to Dusty because they want to do stuff, they're happy when they're doing stuff and they like being the centre of attention. That makes it fun to show him, and compete in herdng with her. Unilke Dusty, who acts like she wants to be anywhere other than in the ring, arena or spotlight.

Ripley is a dark horse. He doesn't come across as being hugely intelligent but he gets out of our very secure yard in the blink of an eye, something none of the other dogs have ever done. So he was hiding his light under a bushel because it takes some brainpower to work out he best escape route when previous ones have been fixed. He is an easy dog to live with though, affectionate without being needy, sweet without being all over you and biddable without being a trip hazard. As far as herding breeds go, I think he's probably the temperament that's easiest to live with aside from his penchant for wandering.

Edited by Gayle.

I have a golden who is high maintenance. She likes to please me to a certain extent but shes also a princess and very demanding.

I wonder if female golden retrivers tend to be a bit of a princess :)

Mine is like that too. Very good tempered but quite demanding. I actually call her my "little princess"

Not mine. She is very easy to live with & loves to please. Only demands pats & cuddles!

Probably the least smart of all the dogs I have had though. All enthusiasm, just a little slow on the uptake, bless her. :laugh:

I'd consider a smaller spitz breed again too- my keeshond was divine & while independent, very much a loving family dog.

I feel the same about my elkhound. While he does have the independence of the northern breeds, he is very affectionate and good with people.

I feel the same about my elkhound. While he does have the independence of the northern breeds, he is very affectionate and good with people.

Actually, I was talking to an Elkie breeder about an upcoming litter just before I was offered Honey! :D

They tick a lot of boxes for me.

By smaller I meant I don't think I'd be up for a Sibe.

Nobody's taken on describing 'hounds'.

Guess (I'm not a hound person but have known a few of 'em). It's a hard task cause the sight hounds are generally different from the scent hounds, and there are big differences within the two groups. Both groups were bred to chase. Sight hounds tend to have been bred to run down prey. Scent hounds . . .

somebody else take it from there, please.