My Back Is Killing Me

redial

I just washed and brushed out the maremma, he's moulting at the moment and he's collecting clover burrs which have popped up all over the yard this year. it took me a good 2 hours to do it properly, he's now drip drying on the back veranda. He's fine chewing on his pig's ear, I however have the sorest back. Does anyone know any ways to stop such painful dog grooming? I have no bath big enough for him so he gets a hose attached to the laundry tap and washed on the lawn... there has to be a better way

Edited by redial

My Anatolian x Maremma is also shedding at the moment, for the last couple of weeks I am having to brush him out every night when I get home from work, I could fill a doona once or twice a week. It's hectic.

We usually wash him either in the bath, he just fits :laugh: or outside in the clam shell pool. Have you thought about getting a dryer? That can help to blow a lot of the undercoat out, meaning you won't have to do so much bruching.

I feel your pain!

ETA: We have burrs EVERYWHERE this year :rolleyes:

Edited by Aussie3

He's HUGE! He's 67kgs as of last friday... He needs a giant sized clam pool. I looked into dryers but they are a bit pricey for this time of year lol. So much other stuff I have to buy. I guess I could always send him off to the groomers lmao. I'm so lazy hehe

I know the burrs had a good season

Edited by redial

He's HUGE! He's 67kgs as of last friday... He needs a giant sized clam pool. I looked into dryers but they are a bit pricey for this time of year lol. So much other stuff I have to buy. I guess I could always send him off to the groomers lmao. I'm so lazy hehe

Yikes! Mosley, luckily, hasn't grown ridiculously huge, he's sitting around 45kg at the moment.

Wow! He's either grossly overweight (by 20kgs!) or way oversize...

From the breed standard:

Weight: Dogs 35-45 kg (77-99 lbs)

Bitches 30-40 kg (66-88 lbs)

You could also get one of the fibreglass grooming tables sold by Fidos and wash the dog on that with the hose. A table really saves your back when grooming - particularly if you teach large dogs to lie on their side as well as in a nice drop position - a pillow to rest doggies head on helps with this :D . You could only was on a fibreglass one as the others would not tolerate the water. I second the dryer - good investment