That Pet Store Is A Dump

greatdanes101

I went to a pet store today i have been there a few times they sell kittens, puppies, rabbits, birds and guinea pigs. I only went in there to have a look around because i was with my mum and i was bored.

The pet store was a dump there was crap everywhere. There was bird seed bags lying around, boxes and boxes of i don't what everywhere. half of the their stock wasn't on the shelves like food, toys, kitty litter, etc. Most of the surrounding shops have all closed down and bulldozed, many years ago they used to have markets around there on the weekends. I am suprised it's still open when almost everything else has closed down and hardly anyone walks around there anymore. It was not well organized. i felt really sorry for the animals there because was no air conditioning for the 40degree days in summer we get it would be so unbearable in there. They had about 5 kittens in a small class pen with dirty water and no little toys to play with just a scratching post to scratch at. They looked so bored. There were no puppies there this time but I've seen them there before.

They had about 8 rabbits all fully grown they were in good size pens room to move around except for one. This rabbit would have been a good 65cm - 70cm long it was in a wire cat or rabbit carry cage with a guinea pig. I don't understand why that rabbit was in such a small cage for it's size why couldn't he in one of the spare pens that was empty.

I felt really bad walking away from those pets in that dump. The little kittens wanted to get out and to run and play.

I went to a pet store today i have been there a few times they sell kittens, puppies, rabbits, birds and guinea pigs. I only went in there to have a look around because i was with my mum and i was bored.

The pet store was a dump there was crap everywhere. There was bird seed bags lying around, boxes and boxes of i don't what everywhere. half of the their stock wasn't on the shelves like food, toys, kitty litter, etc. Most of the surrounding shops have all closed down and bulldozed, many years ago they used to have markets around there on the weekends. I am suprised it's still open when almost everything else has closed down and hardly anyone walks around there anymore. It was not well organized. i felt really sorry for the animals there because was no air conditioning for the 40degree days in summer we get it would be so unbearable in there. They had about 5 kittens in a small class pen with dirty water and no little toys to play with just a scratching post to scratch at. They looked so bored. There were no puppies there this time but I've seen them there before.

They had about 8 rabbits all fully grown they were in good size pens room to move around except for one. This rabbit would have been a good 65cm - 70cm long it was in a wire cat or rabbit carry cage with a guinea pig. I don't understand why that rabbit was in such a small cage for it's size why couldn't he in one of the spare pens that was empty.

I felt really bad walking away from those pets in that dump. The little kittens wanted to get out and to run and play.

I doubt the animals minded the disorganisation. Sometimes I'm glad to see an old family run dumpy feedstore/petshop rather than the chain store mall sort of place where all the toys are imported from China and the staff have been there for less than six months.

Maybe it would have been worthwhile to say something about the poor rabbit in the tiny cage and the kittens.

Maybe showing them that customers care will move them toward doing better by their animals.

Its one thing for a pet shop to have a rustic charm if the animals are getting looked after.

Always let the shop know if you know you are right and the animals are suffering.

They may just tell you to go away but every time someone says something it makes them think.

We had a place like that in Springvale Victoria and it took years of complaints ect to get him to finally clean up his act.

Still not good enough if you ask me.

I saw some horrible things in this petshop over the years.

Report animal abuse to the rspca, for what its worth, at least the report has been made.

I know the store and the owner that you are referring too - it will not make a difference mentioning it. I suggest looking at this document and if they are in breach report it

you will have to click on the link that says South Australian Code of practice for the care and management of animals in the pet trade (381kb pdf)

SA Pet Trade Code

Edited by millbrooksprings

I went in a petshop like this once....it was a dump and the animals were kept in inappropriate enclosures. I called the RSPCA and a week later it was closed down.