First Timers!

Olivebaby

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just uploaded some photos to photo bucket, how do I put them on here?

when you hover over the photobucket image a list of codes will come up. copy and paste the code that says IMG code straight into your post and it will then add the photo when you hit 'add reply'

hope this makes sense

Just to add. Beg, borrow or steal (ok, maybe not steal :laugh: ) a copy of "Reaching for the Stars: Formerly Advanced Labrador Breeding" by Mary Roslin Williams. IMO EVERY breeder and potential breeder should read it - not just Lab folk, though for you it will provide lots of important info about the breed and being a breeder.

Thanks :-) yes she is forever scooping up the cushions underneath her and sleeping on them. We were going to have a no couch policy, but instead we got rid of our very comfy cream couch and got a not as comfy dark grey one just so we could have snuggles :laugh:

Thanks :-) yes she is forever scooping up the cushions underneath her and sleeping on them. We were going to have a no couch policy, but instead we got rid of our very comfy cream couch and got a not as comfy dark grey one just so we could have snuggles :laugh:

Hmm, yes, my partner also insisted on a no-couch policy... At the moment I'm sitting on the couch, working on my PhD, with my greyhound snoozing on the couch next to me. Boyfriend just brought me a cup of tea and said "There's a dog on the couch". Yep, and she's still there :laugh:

Edited to say: sorry for going off topic.

Edited by Kitt

Hi all. Just wondering whether any of the breeders out there could answer these question for me. How did you first get started? I get you probably started with a dog but how did you go about choosing and finding the right sire? Where did you get all your information from and how on earth did you know what you were doing?

:eek:

If someone has trusted you with a breeding quality bitch on main register for your very first litter, you should be asking that breeder to select the potential sire for you or at least get them to provide a short list of possible dogs. If they are also fairly inexperienced you may need to consult their mentor. It doesn't matter where these people are located, they will know which dogs are where and what will suit your girl. Selecting a stud dog needs to be done by someone who knows the pedigrees and has actually seen the dogs on them as well as having a good understanding of the breed. The best dog for your girl may be on the other side of the country but travelling that far for a mating can be risky with a maiden. I usually suggest finding a reasonably local dog if possible for a first litter but always ask your girl's breeder her opinion first. It is just good manners in the dog world to do so. After you know she can produce a litter then do whatever it takes to mate her the best you can find, wherever he is.

Once you have bred a few litters and learnt a lot more about the breed you will be in a position to make up your own mind about future matings but there is a lot more to breeding puppies than mating a dog and bitch of the same breed and you really need a very experienced mentor to help start you off.

Another questions. Hope its not a stupid one. I have Olives papers in front of me and I have been googling her pedigree. Is there a better way of understand her ancestry? She seems to have a lot of driftway which I have heard of as well as Napier and albanel. I would love to know what shows these labs were involved in as many seem to be champions of some sort. Maybe from there I could find strengths and weaknesses in her family line.

Maybe jump on the lab thread too. There are quite a few breeders who frequent there and they may be able to offer you some lab specific advice.

ETA I second the stack, front and side. Makes it easier to see what you are looking at conformation wise.

Edited by RubyBlue

That's great. Thanks. I found her great gradsire. Ok so the stack... I know what this looks like but how on earth do you get them to stay still, with their head up and tail out flat? Is this like a"trick" we could work on with treats?

Hehe its harder than it looks. I had to do it for my girl recently. Basically treats and a good stay command. I had a friend in front with treats to keep her focus whilst I took pics from the side, had a harder time when I was in front cause she kept wanting to come towards me.

Made me realise I should start practicing with my pup as I intend to show him :p

ETA Have a look at the dogs in stack on the DOL profiles and try and emulate that.

Edited by RubyBlue