Mini Schnauzer - Great With Kids?

LamborghiniMurphy

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My experience with MS (not owning one but a friend does and several are regulars at our dog park), they definitely fiesty and headstrong. I think they are great little dogs and super cute but they seem to me like you would have to figure out what will motivate them to do what you want them to, rather than them being keen to please you and willing to try and figure out what you want them to do just to make you happy. Fun for training and interesting to learn from I imagine but not easy!

One word: food.

:)

Get the clicker and treats out and Pippa is jumping around offering behaviours for a treat. We call her a Mini-Lab :p

I've seen a few at agility that do some really nice work for tugging as well.

Pippa is very cute. I haven't seen many black minis (I havent actually seen any), they are adorable :)

Guest donatella

My experience with MS (not owning one but a friend does and several are regulars at our dog park), they definitely fiesty and headstrong. I think they are great little dogs and super cute but they seem to me like you would have to figure out what will motivate them to do what you want them to, rather than them being keen to please you and willing to try and figure out what you want them to do just to make you happy. Fun for training and interesting to learn from I imagine but not easy!

Get the clicker and treats out and Pippa is jumping around offering behaviours for a treat. We call her a Mini-Lab :p

Pippa is very cute. I haven't seen many black minis (I havent actually seen any), they are adorable :)

I was never a MS fan but the black ones are :love:

Oh she loves her tug, too :) Does a mean restrained recall to her tug thumbsup1.gif I'm going to have so much fun with her in agility!! But the obedience nut in me has started obedience with her, too, more so than agility basics :o

Actually I think it is a good thing you are giving some thought to the breed in the context of your kids. A big dog can be worrying around small kids if the dog is jumping a lot, and I can understand your concern here. I agree too that some small dogs are nippy around small children, as they can feel physically intimidated. So some careful thought at this stage is a really good idea before you take the plunge again.

I don't have much experience with miniature schnauzers. I had met some really nice ones, but I've never watched them around small children so I can't advise.

Most small breeds will require your protection and to be kept separate from the kids unless you are closely supervising. So not much different from the big dogs in that respect, but it is as much about protecting the dog as it is about protecting your children. And also making sure the behaviour of both with each other is appropriate and safe.

I know everyone has a favourite breed, but I have to say I think the Border Terrier is a fantastic smaller dog that I think would be able to keep up with a busy family lifestyle and is generally quite a sensible dog. I have a big soft spot for this breed. Can't have one myself because of my allergies, but I really think they are underappreciated overall.

Schnauzers can be a bit barky from what I've seen. So that is another training issue and something you would need to be actively managing to prevent it becoming a nuisance behaviour.

Aaaahhh barking! I don't know whether MS are barky, I've not heard it too much although my friend's definitely alert barks (at strangers etc). If you do get a barky pup tho I recommend working to stop it from day 1! I knew Shelties could be barky but didn't work too hard on it from when he was a baby, working on it now but it's a mission. Not the end of the world tho :)

The good thing about motivated, smart dogs is that once

you do figure out the motivator you can train them all sorts of things, like you say RS! If Saxon so much as has an inkling treats are around he gets very focussed very fast... He still knows how to work the system tho ;)

Edited by Saxonpup

miss pip is TOO CUTE!! i love that vid.. im really not suited to the breed but she is gorgeous.

OP- it is possible to train a puppy and look after young children, its even possible to have the children involved with doing this i know a family that has done this very successfully with their son and a labrador but it does take alot of work and dedication and also support so you can have the time with the dog to start the foundation (this is actually how i got involved with the family as i was hired to help while she trained)

is there a particular reason youre looking to get a dog right now? is there a possibility of you fostering for a while to see how you cope with a dog in the family and if it can fit into your life? perhaps even look at the guide dogs program they have two one is for the puppy stages and the other is the second stage where the dog lives with you but they're picked up every day to go to their training and dropped back at night. this is also a fairly inexpensive way of having a dog as costs are covered. the added advantage to this is that after that dog is homed and you have had a little more experience and also the opportunity to talk with trainers etc as a part of that you may find yourself better able to deal with any issues that may arise with the new dog and not find yourself in the unfortunate position of having to rehome another loved family member.

post-4908-0-62895800-1324649848_thumb.gif

But one question I still need the answer for, what size crate would be best for one??

Get the pp30 crate, might be a tad big for a pup, but would be a good size for an adult

Dont worry too much about being flamed by the gatekeeper and co., its happens, you will learn more if you stick around :)